[BreachExchange] Microsoft data breach targeted cryptocurrency users

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Wed May 1 09:54:16 EDT 2019

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/cybersecurity/microsoft-data-breach-targeted-cryptocurrency-users.html

Microsoft alerted users earlier this month of a data breach that
allowed a hacker access to emails. The users who were affected seem to
have one thing in common: cryptocurrency, according to Motherboard.

The data breach, which occurred between Jan. 1 and March 28, was the
result of a hacker gaining control of a Microsoft customer support
worker's login credentials. The hacker was able to obtain any
non-corporate Outlook, Hotmail and MSN accounts and the contents of
all emails.

In the wake of the data breach, one of the reasons for it may have
been solved. Victims of the attack are telling stories about hackers
attempting to drain their cryptocurrency accounts, Motherboard
reports.

"The hackers also had access to my inbox allowing them to password
reset my Kraken.com account and withdrawal my Bitcoin," a Microsoft
user told Motherboard in an email. Kraken is a cryptocurrency
exchange.

One Microsoft user said he lost just over one bitcoin, or roughly
$5,000 at its current exchange rate. Another user wrote in a Reddit
post that he lost "25,000 in crypto," Motherboard reports.

Microsoft has set up a support team to assist users who were affected
by the security breach.

"Customers who believe they have been impacted beyond what was
outlined in the company's notification should contact the Microsoft
support team for assistance," a company spokesperson told Motherboard.