[BreachExchange] Disruption in Cyber Security Marketing – The Right Security

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Tue Dec 1 10:43:35 EST 2020

https://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/2020/11/30/disruption-in-cyber-security-marketing-the-right-security/

VIDEO URL:
https://youtu.be/B8vHYI0HkrA?list=PLkV2qhiMyRKspi14k6qALEGirECTVRHp9

As we’ve mentioned in our recent 2020 Q3 Data Breach QuickView and our Mid
Year Vulnerability QuickView Report, COVID-19 continues to significantly
impact the data breach, vulnerability, and cyber security landscapes.
Organizations within the industry can attest to the disruptions caused by
the pandemic, and these effects have also been observed in Cyber Security
marketing and PR.

Michelle Schafer, Partner and Sr. Vice President at Merritt Group, joins
Jake Kouns, CEO and CISO at Risk Based Security, to talk about how Cyber
Security marketing has had to rapidly adapt in 2020.

With the absence of in-person events, organizations are competing heavily
to capitalize on online marketing efforts. How can enterprises cut through
the digital noise?

If you enjoy the conversation, you might also want to check out Michelle
Schafer’s & Tim Wilson’s talk The Changing Mind of the IT Security Pro –
How Hype and Media Shape InfoSec Priorities at RVAsec 2016.

Show Notes

0:15 – Introductions
2:15 – RSAC cancellation and thoughts on virtual events
6:00 – Are virtual conferences worth the investment?
8:10 – Do people really care about webinars?
10:43 – Highlights from “Changing Mind of Security Pro” a talk with Tim
Wilson
14:28 – How 2020 has changed the cybersecurity media and reporting landscape
18:50 – Thoughts on “pay-to-play” marketing and product coverage
23:23 – Thoughts on “over-hyped” vulnerabilities or named vulns
25:18 – How researchers can share their discoveries effectively
27:18 – Is social media still an effective way for cybersecurity companies
to communicate?
29:30 – Are media outlets still interested in exclusives?
32:44 – Prepping journalists for press releases
34:10 – Role of marketing in cybersecurity startups
37:32 – What’s up next in marketing for the cybersecurity industry?
40:13 – Advice for PR Professionals

FURTHER READING:

Merritt Group
The Changing Mind of the IT Security Pro – How Hype and Media Shape InfoSec
Priorities, Michelle Schafer & Tim Wilson, RVAsec 2016

The Right Security

This is the latest in our video series The Right Security, in which we talk
with leaders and veterans in the security industry, tackling the biggest
issues impacting organizations today.

Check out The Right Security series on YouTube,
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkV2qhiMyRKspi14k6qALEGirECTVRHp9>
and subscribe to the Risk Based Security channel
<https://www.youtube.com/user/riskbased> to see new episodes in your feed.