[BreachExchange] HR Giant Randstad Hit by Egregor Ransomware

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Wed Dec 9 10:50:33 EST 2020

https://www.securityweek.com/hr-giant-randstad-hit-egregor-ransomware

Human resources giant Randstad last week revealed that its IT systems
were targeted in a recent cyberattack involving a relatively new piece
of ransomware named Egregor.

Netherlands-based Randstad is one of the world’s largest HR services
providers, with more than 38,000 employees and operations in nearly 40
countries. The company claims it helped over 2 million people find a
job last year and it reported a revenue of €23.7 billion ($28.7
billion).

Randstad said the incident impacted a limited number of servers and
its operations have not been disrupted. However, it has confirmed that
the attackers have accessed some data.

The cybercriminals behind the Egregor ransomware are known to steal
data in addition to using the malware to encrypt the victim’s files,
in an effort to increase their chances of getting paid. If a victim
refuses to pay, the hackers either leak stolen data on a website that
is accessible through the Tor network or they try to sell it to
others.

“To date, our investigation has revealed that the Egregor group
obtained unauthorized and unlawful access to our global IT environment
and to certain data, in particular related to our operations in the
US, Poland, Italy and France,” Randstad said in its statement. “They
have now published what is claimed to be a subset of that data. The
investigation is ongoing to identify what data has been accessed,
including personal data, so that we can take appropriate action with
regard to identifying and notifying relevant parties.”

The hackers have so far released roughly 60Mb of information stolen
from Randstad systems. The leaked files are mainly financial
documents, mostly PDFs and Excel spreadsheets, which they claim
represents only one percent of the stolen files.

The operators of the Egregor ransomware recently also targeted
TransLink, the transportation agency of Metro Vancouver in British
Columbia, Canada. TransLink has reportedly decided not to pay the
ransom, but there is no mention of the company on the Egregor website
so far.

Digital Shadows, a provider of digital risk protection solutions,
whose researchers have been monitoring Egregor ransomware attacks,
told SecurityWeek that the cybercriminals named 176 victims on their
website between September 25 and December 2. A majority of victims are
in the United States (82), followed by France (19), Italy (15) and
Germany (9).