[BreachExchange] ‘GBMC Health Care reschedules some procedures because of IT systems outage, ‘ransomware incident’

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Thu Dec 10 10:48:11 EST 2020

https://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-hs-gbmc-info-outage-20201207-vqcana4smbdptpyrr2pqce7lhe-story.html

Greater Baltimore Medical Center became the latest victim of a cyber
attack Sunday, when it said a “ransomware incident” caused an outage
of its information technology systems.

The hospital said many of its GBMC HealthCare’s systems are down but
that it is able to continue patient care. However, it was forced to
reschedule some procedures planned for Monday due to the problems.

Those who were affected were contacted, the hospital said.

“Although many of our systems are down, GBMC HealthCare has robust
processes in place to maintain safe and effective patient care,” the
hospital said in a news release. “We are collectively responding in
accordance with our well-planned process and policies for this type of
event.”

GBMC did not provide details about the extent of the outage or what
might have caused it aside from describing it as a “ransomware
incident.”

[Most read] Records prove Johns Hopkins University founder owned
slaves, shattering belief he was a staunch abolitionist »

Baltimore County Public Schools also experienced a debilitating
ransomware attack Thanksgiving week that forced it to cancel classes
for several days. The school system said Monday that no personal
information was stolen in the attack.

GBMC said there is no evidence that patient information was misused,
and outside experts and law enforcement are involved in the
investigation.

“Our investigation is in its early stages. We will provide more
information as we can,” the hospital said. “Patient care is our number
one priority, and we will continue to provide outstanding services to
those that use our facilities.”