[BreachExchange] Auto services firm Inchcape hit by Windows Ransomexx ransomware

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Tue Dec 15 10:31:48 EST 2020

https://itwire.com/security/auto-services-firm-inchcape-hit-by-windows-ransomexx-ransomware.html

Automotive services provider Inchcape Australia appears to have been
compromised by the Windows Ransomexx ransomware, with the cyber
criminals who hit the company leaking some data that they stole, on
the dark web. The company has about 1500 employees in Australia.

Inchcape is part of a group, with its head office based in London.
According to the company's site, the group is "the world's largest
independent international automotive retailer, with operations in
nearly 30 countries".

"Our core markets include Belgium, Greece, Hong Kong, Singapore,
Australia, Russia and the UK and we are currently expanding operations
in the Balkans, the Baltics, China and South America," the website
says.

"In addition to growing our core businesses, we are developing scale
operations in new and emerging regions." The group had revenue of £9.4
billion (A$16.61 billion) in 2019.

The leaked documents are in four lots and relate to administration,
customer fulfilment and client information.

Contacting Inchcape for comment proved to be difficult, as the company
has no email address for media communications on its site. An email
was sent to the lone email address on the company's site but it
bounced. This was at 8.50am.

The company was then contacted by phone and a helpful receptionist
provided an alternative email address to which an email was sent at
9.25am.

But this did not work either, with the email bouncing again. One must
add here that mail was being sent from the same email address that has
been used for more 20 years to correspond with companies in many parts
of the globe. Microsoft Exchange is used to handle mail sent to
Inchcape.

A second phone call elicited a promise from the receptionist to pass
on mobile contact details to the IT manager. But that did not produce
results either.

During a third phone call, around noon, the receptionist was unable to
find anyone else for me to speak to.

A third email was then sent around noon, from a Gmail address that is
not used for any purpose other than for Android smartphones.

Finally, someone from the company called and promised a response.

The Inchcape spokesperson said: "Inchcape Australia and its component
companies (AutoNexus, Peugeot Citroen, Subaru and Trivett Retail)
recently experienced an IT system outage, the cause of which continues
to be investigated.

"This impacted a variety of IT systems, necessitating the use of
alternative channels for a period, to communicate with customers and
suppliers.

"While the majority of systems are now restored, work continues to
fully restore some functions.

"Investigations continue to identify the cause of the outage and if
any data is identified as being compromised, Inchcape will notify the
relevant parties and work with them to ensure the integrity of their
material.

"We continue to work closely with customers and suppliers to minimise
the impact."

Contacted for comment, Brett Callow, a senior ransomware researcher
with the New Zealand-headquartered security outfit Emsisoft, said:
"RansomExx’s victims include TxDOT and Tyler Technologies.

"Unusually, after penetrating a network, the operators of RansomExx -
which is also known as Defray777 - will deploy both Windows and Linux
versions of the ransomware in order to maximise damage.

"Like multiple other groups, they also exfiltrate data and use the
threat of releasing it as additional leverage to extort payment."