[BreachExchange] Subway marketing system hacked to send TrickBot malware emails

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Tue Dec 15 10:39:35 EST 2020

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/subway-marketing-system-hacked-to-send-trickbot-malware-emails/

Subway UK has disclosed that a hacked system used for marketing
campaigns is responsible for the malware-laden phishing emails sent to
customers yesterday.

Starting yesterday, Subway UK customers received strange emails from
'Subcard' about a Subway order that was placed. Included in the email
were links to documents allegedly containing confirmation of the
order.

After analyzing these phishing emails, it was discovered that they
were distributing malicious Excel documents that would install the
latest version of the TrickBot malware.

TrickBot is a nasty malware infection that allows attackers to steal
saved browser passwords, spread throughout a network, steal browser
cookies, steal RDP, VNC, and PuTTY Credentials, and much more. Even
worse, TrickBot may eventually provide access to the Ryuk or Conti
ransomware operations.

As these emails contained a customer's name and were using email
addresses that some users created specifically for Subway, it caused
suspicion that Subway had been breached somehow.

When we contacted Subway yesterday about this phishing campaign, we
received a response that alluded to a 'disruption' of some sort on
their email systems.

"We are aware of some disruption to our email systems and understand
some of our guests have received an unauthorised email. We are
currently investigating the matter and apologise for any
inconvenience. As soon as we have more information, we will be in
touch, until then, as a precautionary measure, we advise guests delete
the email," a Subway spokesperson told BleepingComputer.

Subway confirms a hacked server used in attack

After sending multiple emails to Subway about the 'disruption' seen on
their system, the company disclosed that a server responsible for
their email campaigns had been hacked to send out the phishing emails.

"Having investigated the matter, we have no evidence that guest
accounts have been hacked.  However, the system which manages our
email campaigns has been compromised, leading to a phishing campaign
that involved first name and email. The system does not hold any bank
or credit card details."

"Crisis protocol was initiated and compromised systems locked down.
The safety of our guests and their personal data is our overriding
priority and we apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused,"
Subway said in a statement to BleepingComputer.

Subway has also started to send disclosure emails to affected
customers that states that the customer's first name and last name
were exposed in the attack.

Subway UK email disclosure regarding attacks

If you received this email and mistakenly opened the malicious Excel
document, you can check for the current version of TrickBot by opening
Task Manager and looking for a process named 'Windows Problem
Reporting.' If that process is found, click on the 'End Task' button,
as shown by the red arrow below, to terminate it.

End Windows Problem Reporting process

Now perform a thorough scan of your computer using antivirus software
and clean anything that is found.

BleepingComputer has once again reached out to Subway to determine how
many people were affected and if any other customer information was
stored on that server. We have not received a response at this time.