[BreachExchange] Database containing personal information of over 270, 000 Ledger customers released on RaidForums

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Mon Dec 21 09:21:11 EST 2020

https://www.theblockcrypto.com/linked/88596/database-containing-personal-information-of-over-270000-ledger-customers-released-on-raidforums

A database containing the personal information of over 270,000 Ledger
customers has been published on RaidForums, a marketplace for buying,
selling, and sharing hacked information. The database, reviewed by The
Block, contains the emails, physical addresses, and phone numbers of
Ledger hardware wallet buyers. Today's leak is the result of a data
breach Ledger suffered in June and also contains the emails of over 1
million Ledger customers.

In July, Ledger publicly disclosed that it had a suffered a data
breach in June that compromised customer data. At that time, Ledger
noted that 9,500 customers had their personal information breached.
Today's database dump, however, showed that the extent of the personal
information leak was far larger than 9,500 customers. A Ledger
spokesperson said the firm had anticipated that more information could
have been leaked in the June attack despite the total found in its
review of the incident.

"At the time of the incident, logs from a third-party application
managing our database showed 9,500 individuals were impacted.
Simultaneously, we were working with an external security organization
to conduct a forensic review, which also confirmed 9,500 people, all
of whom were personally contacted by Ledger Support. Since the
phishing attacks started to occur, we anticipated more information
could have been leaked and continued to notify all users via Twitter
and email," the spokesperson said.

In a tweet, Ledger stated that "early signs" point to the database
being from its June hack. Ledger also added "It is a massive
understatement to say we sincerely regret this situation. We take
privacy extremely seriously" and that  "Avoiding situations like this
are a top priority for our entire company, and we have learned
valuable lessons from this situation which will make Ledger even more
secure."