[BreachExchange] Plight of the CISO – The Right Security

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Tue Nov 17 11:03:14 EST 2020

https://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/2020/11/17/plight-of-the-ciso-the-right-security/

In This Episode

In this episode of The Right Security, cybersecurity expert Dan Holden
joins Jake Kouns, CEO and CISO at Risk Based Security to talk about
managing security teams and the growing responsibilities of CISOs.

If you enjoy the conversation, you might also want to check out Dan
Holden’s talk CISO of 2025 at RVAsec 2019.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdfIt-BQpkY>

SHOW NOTES

2:20 – Do you have to be technical to lead security teams?
8:05 – Advice to companies trying to prioritize security issues.
10:00 – How to get a business to engage and support security initiatives.
13:47 – Recap of 2019 RVAsec talk “CISO of 2025”
18:30 – Has 2020 changed Dan’s thoughts on the “CISO of 2025” talk?
22:05 – What if you can’t afford a CISO?
27:00 – The biggest challenge for companies starting a security program.
30:55 – Personal liability for CISOs when things go wrong.
36:00 – Commonly overlooked aspects for a CISO in a larger security program.
42:00 – Pep-talk for a CISO that’s feeling burned out.

THE RIGHT SECURITY

This is the latest in our video series where we talk with leaders and
veterans in the security industry, tackling the biggest issues impacting
organizations today.

Check out The Right Security series on YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkV2qhiMyRKspi14k6qALEGirECTVRHp9>,
and subscribe to the Risk Based Security channel
<https://www.youtube.com/user/riskbased> to see new episodes in your feed.