[BreachExchange] Barnes & Noble hit by Egregor ransomware, strange data leaked

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Wed Oct 21 10:38:45 EDT 2020

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/barnes-and-noble-hit-by-egregor-ransomware-strange-data-leaked/

The Egregor ransomware gang is claiming responsibility for the
cyberattack on U.S. Bookstore giant Barnes & Noble on October 10th,
2020. The attackers state that they stole unencrypted files as part of
the attack.

Barnes & Noble is the largest brick-and-mortar bookseller in the
United States, with over 600 bookstores in fifty states. The
bookseller also operated the Nook Digital, which is their eBook and
e-Reader platform.

Ransomware attack leads to an outage

On October 10th, users began complaining on Nook's Facebook page and
Twitter that they could no longer access their library of purchased
eBooks and magazine subscriptions.

Nook Facebook page stating that they are experiencing a severe system
failure and are working to get systems operational again.

Late Wednesday night, Barnes & Noble disclosed that they suffered a
cyberattack on October 10th, 2020.

As part of this attack, ransomware attackers actors gained access to
corporate network for the company. After discovering the attack,
Barnes and Noble shut down their network to prevent the attack's
further spread, which led to a service outage.

"It is with the greatest regret we inform you that we were made aware
on October 10, 2020 that Barnes & Noble had been the victim of a
cybersecurity attack, which resulted in unauthorized and unlawful
access to certain Barnes & Noble corporate systems."

"We write now out of the greatest caution to let you know how this may
have exposed some of the information we hold of your personal
details," Barnes & Noble stated in their email.

Barnes & Noble email notification

Barnes & Noble states that no payment details have been exposed but
are unsure at this time if the hackers accessed other personal
information.

They do admit that email addresses, billing addresses, shipping
addresses, and purchase history were exposed on the hacked systems.

following statement.

"As the letter to our customers explains, we closed down all our
networks immediately once a cybersecurity attack was suspected. We
engaged then a firm of cybersecurity consultants to evaluate the
nature of the threat. With their guidance, we have cautiously restored
our networks which by its nature has taken time. We acted as quickly
as we could given the circumstances and notified customers once we
were able to give credible information of what happened. No credit
card details are stored on Barnes & Noble systems and therefore the
speculation that financial loss from fraudulent activity could result
is inaccurate. As of writing, the cybersecurity consultants have
detected no evidence of data having been exposed. We have acted
therefore with an abundance of caution. We regret sincerely that in so
acting we have caused disruption to our customers, especially those of
NOOK."

Egregor claims to have stolen Barnes & Noble data

After publishing our report on the Barnes & Noble cyberattack,
BleepingComputer was contacted by a threat actor who stated that the
Egregor ransomware operation was behind the attack.

Egregor is a relatively new but active ransomware gang that began
operating in the middle of September 2020.

BleepingComputer was told that Barnes & Noble's corporate network was
compromised by threat actors who stole unencrypted "financial and
audit" data from their systems.

After the hacker gained access to a Windows domain administrator
account, another threat actor was given access to the network on
October 10th, 2020, who then encrypted the network's devices.

Today, the Egregor ransomware operation confirmed the threat actor's
statements and published files that they claim were stolen during the
attack on Barnes & Noble.

Barnes & Noble data leak on Egregor site

Strangely, instead of leaking stolen files, the leaked data contains
two Windows Registry hives that appear to have been exported from
Barnes & Noble's Windows servers during the attack.

Leaked Registry hive

While this corroborates that Egregor was involved in the attack, it
does not necessarily prove that Egregor stole any financial documents
or other files.

BleepingComputer has reached out again to Barnes & Noble with
questions regarding this development.

Egregor also recently attacked game developers Crytek and Ubisoft,
whose stolen data was also leaked online.