[BreachExchange] MultiCare warning patients of data breach impacting roughly 300, 000 people

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Fri Sep 25 10:06:05 EDT 2020

https://www.kxly.com/multicare-warning-patients-of-data-breach-impacting-roughly-300000-people/

TACOMA, Wash. — MultiCare is warning patients of a data breach that
may affect them.

The breach affects some 300,000 people, according to a release from
MultiCare, which says it was made aware of the incident in mid-July
and began the process of notifying those impacted in August.

MultiCare says the worldwide data security breach impacted Blackbaud
Inc., a platform is used by MultiCare Foundations, as well as other
non-profits, for engagement and fundraising purposes. The breach
affected more than 25,000 non-profit organizations across the world.

According to Blackbaud, the hackers were not able to access patient
payment information or social security numbers. They were, however,
able to access information about some of MultiCare’s donors, current
and former patients, and other community members.

Information accessed included demographic and care information, as
well as the contact information of over 126,000 donors.

“We want to assure you that we believe your personal information
remains secure,” it reads in the release. “However, as a precautionary
measure, we are notifying individuals by email and mail who may have
been affected by this incident.”