[BreachExchange] Headwaters confirms unauthorized access in suspicious email activity

Terrell Byrd terrell.byrd at riskbasedsecurity.com
Mon Dec 6 11:03:00 EST 2021

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2021/12/03/headwaters-confirms-unauthorized-access-in-suspicious-email-activity.html

Headwaters Health Care Centre (HHCC) has confirmed the cause of suspicious
email activity that led to the shutdown of their internal systems, and the
closure of the COVID-19 assessment centre.

On Friday (Nov. 26) the local hospital released an updated notice on their
website noting their system had been subjected to “unauthorized access”
resulting in a number of spam emails.

“We are working with cybersecurity experts who will help us safely restore
our IT services and investigate what happened and whether any sensitive
data was exposed,” said the hospital.

The hospital’s information technology system noticed suspicious email
activity the day previous (Nov. 25), with a number of spam emails sent from
the CEO Kim Delahunt’s email account to hundreds of contacts, primarily
staff members of the hospital. As a result of the security breach, the
hospital shut down their internal system as well as access to the internet
and key external partners.

“As an organization we take cybersecurity very seriously and have numerous
measures in place to protect our data,” wrote the hospital in a Nov. 25
notice. “Thankfully, our team noticed unusual activity quickly and [acted]
immediately.”

The suspicious email, repeatedly sent from Delahunt’s email address on Nov.
25 was from Lorenz ransomware, stating all the hospitals files across its
entire system has been encrypted, which includes private medical data.

The email continues, “We will publish all the contents of your company on
our site includes all your confidential medical history, employers
information, documentation, catalogs, reports, configs, mail, database’s,
invoice’s, signature’s etc.”

The email says to prevent the publishing of this data, visit its website
and follow its instructions which entails downloading a TOR browser and
paying money to recover the files.

Lorenz is a new variant of Sz40 ransomware, which is designed to encrypt
data and demand ransom for decryption. This means Lorenz renders affected
files inaccessible and then asks for payment to regain access.

Meanwhile, the shutdown of Headwaters Health Care Centre’s systems isn’t
impacting patient care, as the local hospital said they have ‘robust
processes’ in place.

Scheduled surgeries or procedures have not been impacted at the time of
print as well, and the emergency department remains open 24/7.

With the COVID-19 assessment centre temporarily closed, alternative testing
locations in Peel Region and in Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph have been given
to residents.

At the time of print, there is no timeline for when the hospital expects to
have their systems back up and running.

“This process will take some time. We are committed to being transparent
and will notify individuals if we learn that personal information has been
exposed,” said Headwaters.