[BreachExchange] Former Baltimore County police officer pleads guilty to identity theft, sentenced to 18 months in prison

Terrell Byrd terrell.byrd at riskbasedsecurity.com
Thu Dec 16 09:29:26 EST 2021

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/bs-md-co-cr-officer-pleads-guilty-identity-theft-20211215-a6t2cx5ugjhanijaoaedoy272i-story.html

A former Baltimore County police officer accused of stealing a dead woman’s
identity entered a guilty plea Wednesday to one count of identity theft.

Deandre Ross, 27, who worked for the Baltimore County Police for four
years, was sentenced to three years in prison, all but 18 months suspended,
followed by 18 months of probation, according to online court records.

A spokeswoman for the Baltimore County Police Department said Wednesday
that Ross, who was arrested and suspended from duty in June, is now a
“former member” of the agency.

Police previously said Ross was dispatched in March to investigate a call
about a sudden death. The family later filed a theft report for a missing
laptop, prompting detectives to begin an investigation that led to criminal
charges.

Ross is also required to pay $1,990 in restitution and will report to
prison on Jan. 3, according to Baltimore County State’s Attorney Scott
Shellenberger.

His attorney, Lesley Atkinson, did not immediately return a request for
comment left with his office.

Chief Melissa Hyatt said in June that the incident was “by no means
representative of the fine work that your Baltimore County police officers
perform on a daily basis.”

“I can assure you that we remain committed to serving our communities with
the utmost integrity and fairness,” Hyatt said in a news release at the
time.