[BreachExchange] Your stolen ParkMobile data is now free for wannabe scammers

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Tue May 4 10:32:19 EDT 2021

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/your-stolen-parkmobile-data-is-now-free-for-wannabe-scammers/

The account information for almost 22 million ParkMobile customers is now
in the hands of hackers and scammers after the data was released for free
on a hacking forum.

On March 26th, 2021, ParkMobile issued a security notification on their
website stating that one of their services was hacked and unauthorized
people gained access to customer data.

"We recently became aware of a cybersecurity incident linked to a
vulnerability in a third-party software that we use."

"In response, we immediately launched an investigation with the assistance
of a leading cybersecurity firm to address the incident. Out of an
abundance of caution, we have also notified the appropriate law enforcement
authorities," reads the security notification.

Soon after, Brian Krebs reported that a threat actor was privately selling
ParkMobile stolen during the data breach to other hackers for a high price
of $125,000.

After a threat actor is unable to sell a stolen database or buyers begin to
show little interest, it is common for the stolen data to be released on
hacker forums for free as a way to increase reputation in the hacking
community.

This is exactly what happened with ParkMobile, as threat actors published
links to the full database yesterday on a popular hacking forum that allows
anyone to download all of the data.

This data has been released as a 4.5 GB CSV text file containing the
account information for 21,887,299 ParkMobile customers.

The data includes customers' first and last names, initials, mobile
numbers, email addresses, user names, bcrypt hashed passwords, mailing
address, license plate numbers, and vehicle information.

Heavily redacted sample of stolen ParkMobile data
Heavily redacted sample of stolen ParkMobile data
BleepingComputer has confirmed that the leaked information is legitimate
after verifying data in the database for known ParkMobile users.

How to tell if your ParkMobile data was exposed
To check if the ParkMobile data breach includes your information, you can
visit Have I Been Pwned and enter your email address in the search field.
Once you click the 'pwned?' button, the site will display a list of all the
data breaches where your email was exposed.

For example, below, I searched using an email address known to be part of
the ParkMobile data breach. As you can see, Have I Been Pwned reports that
the email was found in the ParkMobile data added to Have I Been Pwned.

If your data was exposed as part of this breach, you should read the
following section to learn what to do.

My data was exposed! What should I do!?!?
If your data was exposed as part of this breach, the first thing you should
do is immediately change your passwords at other sites using the same
password as ParkMobile.

The ParkMobile passwords were hashed with an algorithm called bcrypt, which
is difficult to convert into plain text passwords. However, it's not
impossible for threat actors to do so over time.

Once threat actors users gain your plain text passwords, they will use your
email address and password combination to log in to other websites using
credential stuffing attacks.

These attacks would allow hackers to gain further access to your accounts
and data.

Affected ParkMobile customers should also be on the lookout for phishing
emails and SMS texts that use the exposed data to try and steal even more
sensitive information from you.