[BreachExchange] Ransomware Hits Lewis and Clark Community College Network

Terrell Byrd terrell.byrd at riskbasedsecurity.com
Fri Nov 26 10:28:40 EST 2021

https://www.govtech.com/education/higher-ed/ransomware-hits-lewis-and-clark-community-college-network

(TNS) — Campus computer networks were down Wednesday morning at Lewis and
Clark Community College after the school was the victim if a cyber attack.

In a message sent to staff members around 6 a.m. Wednesday, LCCC President
Ken Trzaska said the school's computer systems were down because of a
"ransomware attack."

A ransomware attack usually is a type of malicious software designed to
block access to a computer system until a sum of money is paid.

"We now have a major systems outage and need to close campus today,
Wednesday, Nov. 24," Trzaska said in his message. "All systems are down
including email, Blackboard, phones, colleague, etc.

"Buildings are secure and we are treating this just like a snow day on
campus regarding access," he said.

Trzaska said he was on campus and more information would be shared this
morning. He asked that people not use the college email system or open any
files "to be safe."