[BreachExchange] Johnson Memorial Computer Network Hacked

Sophia Kingsbury sophia.kingsbury at riskbasedsecurity.com
Mon Oct 4 08:45:46 EDT 2021

https://www.wibc.com/featured-stories/johnson-memorial-computer-network-hacked/

It’s yet another Hoosier hospital that’s fallen into the hands of hackers.

On Saturday, a cyberattack on Johnson Memorial Health in Franklin led to
the complete shutdown of its computer network, according to a statement
released by the hospital.

This is the second hospital in the central Indiana area to be attacked by
hackers. Eskenazi Hospital was hacked back in August, allowing hackers to
get their hands on private information of patients and staff.

Despite the network shutdown, Johnson Memorial says most of its functions
and services are unaffected. Patients should still come to the hospital for
scheduled appointments.

Below is the full statement from Johnson Memorial, released to our news
gathering partners at WISH-TV:

“Today, Oct. 2, Johnson Memorial Health learned that it was a victim of a
cyberattack. As a result of this attack, the computer network at JMH has
been disabled. We are currently working closely with our expert
cybersecurity partners and law enforcement to investigate this attack and
restore normal computer operations as quickly as possible. While we are
working quickly to resolve the impact of the cyberattack, we recognize that
these situations can take time to fully resolve. JMH is prepared to
continue the provision of exceptional care to the community without access
to computer records. As part of this commitment to ensuring the ability to
serve the community, Johnson Memorial has established processes that permit
continued operation in this situation, and most services at JMH are
unaffected. Patients should arrive for scheduled appointments, unless
otherwise contacted. Questions about appointments or treatment plans should
be directed to your health care provider. The threat of cyberattack is a
nation-wide problem that, unfortunately, has affected other hospitals here
in Indiana and across the country. JMH has invested heavily in
cybersecurity, and we continue to be vigilant. We remain committed to
continuing to provide exceptional care to our communities, and will provide
additional updates as appropriate.

Johnson Memorial Health”