[BreachExchange] Illinois Housing addresses security breach

Terrell Byrd terrell.byrd at riskbasedsecurity.com
Wed Feb 9 09:58:14 EST 2022

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/illinois-housing-addresses-security-breach/ar-AATDjfj

CHICAGO, Ill. (WCIA) — The Illinois Housing Development Authority issued a
statement today addressing a security breach of its rental payment web
portal last week.

The IHDA became aware of the breach on Feb. 1. when some tenant applicants
were able to see documents submitted by other applicants. The IHDA
immediately took the portal offline and blocked all access to external
users to investigate. The portal was reactivated two days later after the
issue was resolved.

The IHDA determined the breach was caused by a coding error, not by
hackers, and the error has been corrected.

“As soon as this information was brought to our attention, we took
immediate action to ensure the safety of our applicants was prioritized,"
said IHDA Executive Director Kristin Faust. “IHDA fiercely guards the
security of personal information in its possession and regrets this
incident.”

The IHDA said that the breach potentially affected just 101 of the nearly
90,000 applications that were submitted for the rental program. Testing has
confirmed that no other applications were affected.

While no longer accepting applications for assistance, the portal remains
open until Feb. 17 for landlords to complete their portion of the
applications so they may be considered for review.