[BreachExchange] Conti ransomware gang: You attack Russia, we’ll hack you back

Terrell Byrd terrell.byrd at riskbasedsecurity.com
Fri Feb 25 13:20:12 EST 2022

https://grahamcluley.com/conti-ransomware-gang-you-attack-russia-well-hack-you-back/

The Conti ransomware gang says that it supports the Russian government’s
invasion of Ukraine… and if anyone launches a retaliatory cyber attack
against Russia, they will hit back hard.

The message was posted on Conti’s website on the dark web earlier today:

The Conti Team is officially announcing a full support of Russian
government. If anybody will decide to organize a cyberattack or any war
activities against Russia, we are going to use our all possible resources
to strike back at the critical infrastructures of an enemy.

Conti has proven its ability to compromise organisations, plant malware,
steal sensitive information, and extort millions of dollars worth of
cryptocurrency from its victims on numerous occasions.

The announcement came after Ukraine called on hackers to volunteer their
services to spy on Russian forces, and protect the country’s critical
infrastructure.

Things have clearly heated up digitally, as well as on the ground.

In January, Russia’s FSB claimed that it had dismantled the
ransomware-as-a-service REvil gang (also known as Sodinokibi), whose
members had notoriously plagued Western firms.

At the time I pondered quite why Russia might had chosen now to finally do
something about one of its most infamous cybercrime gangs.

By the way, does anyone know what has happened to the people the FSB
arrested? Are they hanging upside down above shark-infested custard
somewhere in Moscow? Or has the Kremlin found some other use for them?