[BreachExchange] The Global Importance of Cyber Security

Audrey McNeil audrey at riskbasedsecurity.com
Tue Aug 2 19:54:08 EDT 2016

http://www.militaryspot.com/community/global-importance-cyber-security

Cyber security is a growing concern across business sectors and even within
our own homes. We live in an increasingly connected world where we are all
citizens of the internet. Compromised systems, viruses, hacking can cause
damage on a global scale. Vulnerable machines can be manipulated and used
to spread digital infections that pollute the cyber world. Cyber security
is important because our social lives, business dealings, and personal
information are all at risk.

Identity theft and fraud are very real threats with potentially devastating
consequences. Poor social networking practices can make your accounts
insecure, leading to stolen data and potential material loss. Any intrusion
into your personal financial or professional lives can lead to damage to
your reputation and finances. As Internet citizens we hold a shared
responsibility educate ourselves and participate in safe Internet usage
practices. On a larger scale, businesses are responsible for providing
their customers with safe networks and secure payment systems. In May 2015,
1.1 million records were compromised at CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield,
making it one of worst breaches of 2015.

Similarly, the government is responsible for enforcing anti-cybercrime laws
and prosecuting those who disobey. Our responsibility begins with something
as simple and ubiquitous as password protection. Ensuring that your devices
are password-protected and regularly updated can help ensure that your data
is secure. In businesses, strong data security practices frequently include
passwords must meet minimum security standards and must be regularly
replaced. By taking time to learn about and understand the risks behind
data breaches, you can protect yourself and your family. More than this,
learning the value of cyber security can help you enjoy the Internet in a
secure way. Ashley Madison, Sony, and target have all suffered devastating
security breaches. These demonstrate that all industries are at risk and
that the data you have entrusted to them is also at risk.

There are several steps that you can take as precautions to secure your
data. The first step is accountability – namely accountability for your own
information. You must selectively choose what information and with whom you
will share. Carefully research what you’re signing up for and how your
information can be used. The best way to prevent your own data from being
leaked is to limit how much information you share.

The second step you can take to prevent unauthorized access is the
utilization of two step authentication. Frequently this indicates the
necessity of two sets of passwords or pins that must be entered together to
function. Third-party apps that generate random pins may also be used in
conjunction with your traditional password. Blizzard Entertainment, known
for their Warcraft and StarCraft series, utilizes two-step authentication.

The third step is the implementation and maintaining of secure
infrastructures. High-profile corporations are tempting targets for hackers
with an agenda. Many companies who accept payments from their customers
will have personally identifiable information in their databases, including
sometimes Social Security numbers and credit card numbers. Businesses that
handle sensitive information maintain strict data handling procedures to
prevent unauthorized access to these materials. Enlisting a staff of
cyber-security experts and data security analysts is not uncommon.

If company is hacked, proprietary information can be stolen that could
damage the profitability of the company. When the information taken belongs
to consumers, those consumers in turn can lose trust in that company. By
limiting access to sensitive data and employing advanced security measures,
we can all help mitigate the potential damage of costly data breaches.