[BreachExchange] Transportation Authority Kept Secret Cyber Attack That Cost $600, 000

Inga Goddijn inga at riskbasedsecurity.com
Wed Aug 3 19:56:33 EDT 2016

http://voiceofoc.org/2016/08/transportation-authority-kept-secret-cyber-attack-that-cost-600000/

The Orange County Transportation Authority was struck with a major cyber
attack in February that cost over $600,000 and disabled dozens of computer
servers for days, including a total shutdown of email, voicemail and
numerous other services.

The “ransomware” attack started around 1:15 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 4, with
malicious software taking control of 88 servers at the agency, according to
spokesman Joel Zlotnik.

Those servers – which run email, voicemail, internal intranet, bus driver
assignments, payroll, and about a dozen other applications – were held
hostage by the cyber attackers, who demanded about $8,500 in ransom,
Zlotnik said.

It took two and a half days – until around 11 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 6
– for the servers to be restored.

“It was a significant disruption. Everyone in this [headquarters] building
and everyone throughout [the transportation authority] relies heavily on
email, on voicemail, and all of these other systems,” Zlotnik said. “There
were a number of [IT workers] who didn’t even go home to get a couple of
hours’ sleep.”

Transportation services were able to still function normally, Zlotnik said,
and no personal information, such as credit card or social security
numbers, was stolen.

The revelation comes amid growing attention to cyber attacks in recent
years against companies and government agencies. The issue was
front-and-center in the presidential election last week when it was
revealed that the Democratic National Committee had been hacked
<http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/27/us/politics/spy-agency-consensus-grows-that-russia-hacked-dnc.html>,
presumably by the Russian government, and 19,000 internal emails were
released.

All in all, the Transportation Authority estimates that the attack cost
about $660,000, including about $330,000 in labor costs for the agency and
its contractors, as well as $218,000 in emergency contracts with Microsoft
and Cisco Systems to fully clean out the malicious code, analyze the
attack, and prevent more cyber attacks.

*Brown Act Violation?*

However, while Transportation Authority board members were notified of the
attack in its immediate aftermath, the only public reference by officials
was a vague announcement that the agency had experienced “technical
problems” and “technical issues.”

At no point in the six months since it happened, even after the
vulnerability was fixed in early March, has the agency issued a specific
announcement regarding the attack or put it on a public meeting agenda. The
board approved the $218,000 in emergency contracts with Microsoft and Cisco
during a Feb. 22 closed-session meeting.

This lack of transparency in one case amounted to an apparent violation of
the state's open meetings law, known as the Ralph M. Brown Act, said Terry
Francke, general counsel for Californians Aware, who is one of California’s
foremost experts and advocates on open government issues.

Francke said the Transportation Authority board’s closed-door purchase of
$218,000 in services in response to the attack was unlawful because it “was
not on the agenda and it was authorized in an unlawful closed session.”

The Transportation Authority disputes that, saying they were “in full
compliance with the Brown Act and we completely disagree with Mr. Francke’s
opinion.”

In interviews over the past week, Zlotnik explained the agency's decisions
to spend the $600,000 to revamp the system rather than pay the $8,500
ransom, and to not let the public know there had been an attack.

“The FBI opposes paying ransom for cyber attacks, and so does [the
Transportation Authority],” he said. “If we pay ransom to a criminal, there
is no guarantee that our servers would be released,” and the agency would
likely be a target again because the attackers know they pay up.

The closed-discussion and approvals were done in a way that didn’t give any
clues that an attack had taken place. Zlotnik said the agency didn’t
announce it because doing so might invite further attacks, and cited the
open meeting law's exemption for security threats <http://goo.gl/LaaiTp> as
justification for the closed session discussion and action.

“The last thing we want to do is make a public announcement…Why would you
let people know that your systems are compromised? It would invite,
potentially, other people to hit you,” he said. “I think we did everything
that we should have done.”

However, this position appears to be at odds with previous statements by
Transportation Authority CEO Darrell Johnson about the importance of being
upfront with the public about cyber attacks.

When he was the agency’s deputy CEO, a transportation
publication paraphrased him
<http://www.progressiverailroading.com/csx/article/Railroads-gear-up-to-protect-computers-from-hackers--32354>
as saying that “if an organization's electronic security is breached and
information is lost or stolen, or if service is disrupted, the organization
is at risk of losing the trust of its customers, constituents and the
general public.”

“To safeguard that public trust, [the Transportation Authority] maintains a
disaster management and recovery plan in the event that security is
breached. The plan includes steps to notify the public of what happened and
how the agency will rectify the situation,” Johnson said, according to the
article in Progressive Railroading
<http://www.progressiverailroading.com/csx/article/Railroads-gear-up-to-protect-computers-from-hackers--32354>
.

"We really want to make sure we have a professional and positive image to
present to our constituents and the taxpayers, and that we ensure public
trust,” Johnson added.

Zlotnik said this situation was different from the one Johnson was
describing, in that services to the public weren’t disrupted and data
wasn’t stolen.

“What Darrell said was true and it remains true today. Again, in this crime
against OCTA, information wasn’t lost or stolen and service wasn’t
disrupted. If that had been the case, those impacted would have been
notified,” Zlotnik said, adding that he would have explained the February
attack sooner if anyone had asked about it.

Zlotnik also suggested that Voice of OC ask the FBI and the county’s
intelligence assessment center about what they recommend on whether to
notify the public about attacks.

FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said her agency doesn’t have general advice
about whether government agencies should publicly disclose cyber attacks,
and that such decisions are up to the organization that is attacked.

And the Orange County Intelligence Assessment Center “does not provide
advice to public agencies on disclosing cyber attacks,” according to Lt.
Mark Stichter, a spokesman for the county sherif’s department, which is the
lead agency at the center.

The Transportation Authority attack was referred to federal authorities for
investigation, Stichter added.

Transportation Authority Chairwoman Lori Donchak, who’s also a San Clemente
councilwoman, didn’t return a phone message asking if she agreed with the
decision to not tell the public about the attack.

Francke, the open government advocate, said the security exemption used for
the closed session only allows discussions with certain law enforcement
officials, agency lawyers, “or a security consultant or a security
operations manager.”

The closed session was held between the board and the Transportation
Authority's top technology official, Chief Information Officer William Mao.

“A conference with an information officer would not justify a closed
session,” Francke said.

Francke also took issue with the approval of $218,000 in contracts during
the closed session, which weren’t listed on the meeting’s agenda. The
exemption used does not allow for such approvals, he said.

Another open government advocate, Kelly Aviles, agreed.

“It was unlawful to approve the purchase orders under that closed session
exemption,” she said. “The remedy at this point would be to submit a cease
and desist demand to prevent them from using that closed session for
similar circumstances in the future.”

In a statement, the Transportation Authority said such claims are wrong and
that they fully complied with the law.

“Closed sessions are allowed under the Brown Act for exactly this type of
situation. It would be irresponsible, if not negligent, to publicly expose
our security weaknesses and vulnerabilities that were exploited by the
hackers,” said the statement.

“Our chief information officer manages our cyber security operations and
discussing this in closed session with him is entirely appropriate and
permissible under the Brown Act. [The Transportation Authority] properly
listed the closed session item on the agenda,” it continued.

“We agree that public access to information should only be limited in very
narrow cases, and this is very much one of those cases.”

The Transportation Authority is footing the full $660,000 bill for now. But
Zlotnik said staff believe it’s likely the agency will be fully reimbursed,
and they’re “pursuing every avenue to ensure that it happens.” The agency
has cyber-security insurance for this kind of attack, Zlotnik said.