[BreachExchange] U.S. Secret Service notified Ocean Key Resort & Spa. about credit card fraud

Audrey McNeil audrey at riskbasedsecurity.com
Thu Aug 25 19:54:26 EDT 2016

http://www.eturbonews.com/74004/us-secret-service-
notified-ocean-key-resort-spa-about-credit-car

Noble House Hotels and Resorts was notified by the U.S. Secret Service on
July 13, 2016, about possible fraudulent activity on the payment card
system for one of its properties, Ocean Key Resort & Spa.

Noble House promptly began an investigation and engaged a computer security
firm to examine its payment system for any signs of an issue. On July 26,
2016, the computer security firm confirmed that Ocean Key's system may have
been compromised between April 26, 2016 and June 8, 2016. The incident may
have affected guests who used payment cards during this time frame at Ocean
Key, or at one of its onsite dining establishments, including Hot Tin Roof
Restaurant, Sunset Pier bar, and LIQUID Pool Bar.

The information potentially compromised involved data found in the magnetic
stripe on payment cards, including payment card number, payment card
expiration date, CVV number, and may have included the payment cardholder's
name. If our investigation confirms additional guests were affected, they
will be notified. We have no evidence that any cards used at these
businesses after June 8, 2016, were affected.

Noble Hotel issued this statement:
If guests used a payment card at Ocean Key during the dates listed above,
we recommend that they remain vigilant to the possibility of fraud by
reviewing their account statements for any unauthorized activity. If they
see any unauthorized charges, guests should contact the bank that issued
their card as soon as possible.

The credit card companies typically guarantee that cardholders will not be
responsible for fraudulent charges. Additionally, if guests incurred costs
that their financial institution declined to reimburse related to
fraudulent charges on a payment card used at Ocean Key Resort & Spa, Hot
Tin Roof Restaurant, Sunset Pier bar, or LIQUID Pool Bar, Noble House will
reimburse guests for any such reasonable, documented costs that their
financial institution declined to pay.

Noble House was able to notify all individuals for whom we had contact
information. However, because of the nature of the incident, we were not
able to directly contact all potentially affected guests. If guests have
any questions regarding this incident, they may call (866) 877-7528, Monday
through Friday between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm Eastern time.

Noble House sincerely regrets any inconvenience or concern this may have
caused.