[BreachExchange] 2016 Q3 Data Breach QuickView – National Cyber Security Awareness Month

Audrey McNeil audrey at riskbasedsecurity.com
Mon Oct 31 20:02:11 EDT 2016

https://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/2016/10/2016-q3-data-
breach-quickview-national-cyber-security-awareness-month/

Have you heard, October was National Cyber Security Awareness Month?

With worldwide events being what they are and “elections” occupying every
minute of the news cycle, it’s no great surprise if you had no idea we are
at the end of the annual campaign to raise awareness about cyber security.
The awareness campaign theme for Week 4 was to focus on “Our Continuously
Connected Lives: What’s Your ‘App’-titude?”

Based on a review of the Risk Based Security’s “First Nine Months of 2016
Data Breach QuickView Report”, the theme should be “Our Continuously
Breached Lives: What’s Your ‘Breach’-titude?”

With over 2.2 billion records exposed and 2,991 breaches posted through
September 30th , 2016 has already set the record for most records exposed
in a single year and is on pace to end 2016 in the #2 position all time
with close to 3,800 breaches. (2015 sits in the #1 position with 4,277
breaches.)

Hacking (52.6%) continues to dominate as the #1 breach type in both
frequency and severity by exposing the largest amount of confidential
records. Skimming, although trending higher in 2016, is a distant #2
accounting for 11.6% of the total 2016 breaches.

The First Nine Months of 2016 Data Breach QuickView Report (https://pages.
riskbasedsecurity.com/2016-q3-data-breach-year-in-review) is full of
charts, tables and statistics that paint a clear picture that cybersecurity
has not been “Top-of- Mind” anytime during 2016.

Download and enjoy reading the report. Improve your ‘Breach’-titude’ by
using the insight offered to prioritize security controls, detection
mechanisms, and pre-planned response strategies.