[BreachExchange] UCLA Hacked: 32,000 Students May Be Affected

Audrey McNeil audrey at riskbasedsecurity.com
Mon Aug 7 18:32:13 EDT 2017

https://patch.com/california/northridge/s/g74zn/ucla-
hacked-32-000-students-may-be-affected

UCLA officials are notifying about 32,000 people about a cyberattack on a
university computer server containing personal information about some
students, although officials said Friday they do not believe the hacker
actually obtained any sensitive information.

According to UCLA, the attack was aimed at a Summer Sessions and
International Education Office server that contains information such as
students' names, addresses, dates of birth, Social Security numbers, health
insurance IDs and some student-reported medical information.

"Extensive forensic analysis of the attack does not show that the attacker
actually accessed or acquired any personal information on the server,"
according to the university. "However, that possibility cannot be
conclusively ruled out."

The attack did not threaten any information provided by students on or
after April 13, 2016, UCLA officials said.

"We have made modifications to the server to help protect against another
cyberattack, and we continue to work to strengthen the security of our
systems," according to UCLA.

The university is offering one year of free identity protection services to
affected people. Notices are being sent out and should be received in the
next few weeks, officials said.