[BreachExchange] 19 laptops containing customer information have been stolen from fintech company GoCardless

Audrey McNeil audrey at riskbasedsecurity.com
Wed Feb 8 20:42:35 EST 2017

http://www.businessinsider.com/gocardless-laptops-stolen-
19-fintech-credit-checking-2017-2

LONDON — Fintech business GoCardless is offering some customers free credit
monitoring for a year after admitting 19 laptops containing personal
information were stolen from its offices.

The stolen laptops contained personal data on an unspecified number of
customers, such as email addresses, passport numbers, dates of birth, and
names, according to The Register, which first reported the theft.
Importantly, no financial data was held on the laptops.

GoCardless confirmed the theft to Business Insider but said not all
customers affected were equally at risk and only those deemed most
vulnerable are being offered free credit checks. The company declined to
say how many customers were affected overall and how many at-risk customers
are being offered credit checks.

GoCardless emailed this statement to Business Insider:

"We can confirm that on the 7th January 2017, we were the victim of a
burglary which affected our office and another company in the building.
Despite CCTV surveillance and a 24/7 security guard, 19 password protected
GoCardless staff laptops were stolen.

"All of our payment processing systems, remain secure and uncompromised and
were unaffected by the burglary.

"We have informed the police, the Financial Conduct Authority and the
Information Commissioner's’ Office. We have also conducted an exhaustive
internal investigation and, despite the very low risk, have contacted all
our partners and merchants."

GoCardless, founded in 2011 by three Oxford graduates, lets businesses
easily process direct debit payments online. Companies can use GoCardless'
technology to aggregate payments, which makes accepting direct debits much
more affordable.

Over 20,000 companies use GoCardless's technology, including the Guardian,
Thomas Cook, and FTSE 100 accounting giant Sage. GoCardless processes over
£1 billion of payments annually and last March raised $13 million (£9.1
million) in funding.