[BreachExchange] Student information leaked from Creighton University Trio program

Inga Goddijn inga at riskbasedsecurity.com
Thu Oct 26 09:51:49 EDT 2017

http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/36683166/student-information-leaked-from-creighton-university-trio-program

Omaha, Nebraska -- A number of Omaha parents are now upset about a recent
data breach at Creighton University.

"To see all this information and as many kids as it were on this paper with
all this information, I was totally out done," Alesha Dumas said. Her
daughter's personal information was released as well.

The email comes from Creighton University Trio Program. It works closely
with high school students. The email was meant to be a reminder for the
upcoming ACT test on Thursday.

"Basically don't forget it, it had the address and the times," she said.

However, attached to the email was something a bit extra.

"A lot of the kids information on it, all the way from first name, last
name, social security numbers, grades, email address, phone numbers and
date of birth."

She called the director of the program for an explanation, but she didn't
get what she expected.

"The good news is, only four people got the email and I told him, there's
no way because when I spoke with her today, she had said six people, so the
numbers are still jumping."

Her daughter even got a copy of the email.

"She went to her phone and was able to open up the same information and
pull it up," Dumas said.

The program's leader sent a recall email Tuesday morning.

"The emails were not recalled, maybe what she sent out as far as the ACT
prep and the location may have been recalled, but the list was not
recalled," Dumas said.

Dumas says she recognizes it may have been a simple mix up, but that's not
the point, personal information still got out there.

"It may have been an honest mistake on their part, but how many times does
a person make a mistake and can take it back, "Dumas said.

Tuesday evening, Creighton University released a statement to FOX 42:

"Creighton University was made aware that a document containing personal
information about students in our Trio program was emailed to five families
involved in the program. An investigation is underway to find out what
happened, what information was in the document, and who may be affected.
Once the investigation is complete, the University will take any necessary
steps to ensure that the privacy rights of anyone affected by this incident
are protected."

Dumas says after speaking with school officials, an apology letter was not
sent out or an email notifying parents their children information got out
to several strangers.