[BreachExchange] Heathrow security details found on street

Audrey McNeil audrey at riskbasedsecurity.com
Mon Oct 30 19:30:09 EDT 2017

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/world/europe/2017/10/30/
heathrow-airport-security-details-found-on-st.html

Heathrow officials are investigating after a USB stick containing
confidential data - including the exact route the Queen takes to the
airport - was reportedly found in the street.

A total of 76 folders were on the stick, including maps, videos and
documents, the Sunday Mirror reported.

None were encrypted or password protected.

The newspaper said it contained details of the security measures in place
to protect the Queen and the types of identification needed by those,
including undercover police officers, wanting to access restricted areas.

The files revealed routes and other safety measures for cabinet ministers
and foreign dignitaries, as well as timetables of patrols used to guard
against suicide bombers and terror attacks.

Maps of the exact locations of CCTV cameras, tunnels and escape shafts
linked to the Heathrow Express are also said to be on the stick, as well as
details of ultrasound radar systems used to scan the airport runways and
the perimeter fence.

The pocket-sized device was reportedly discovered in the street by an
unemployed man who handed it to the Mirror, which then passed it to
Heathrow intelligence chiefs.

It is unclear if the security breach had been intentional or due to
incompetence, the newspaper said.

A Heathrow spokesperson told Sky News: 'We have reviewed all of our
security plans and are confident that Heathrow remains secure.

'We have also launched an internal investigation to understand how this
happened and are taking steps to prevent a similar occurrence in future.'

The spokesperson added: 'Heathrow's top priority is the safety and security
of our passengers and colleagues.

'The UK and Heathrow have some of the most robust aviation security
measures in the world and we remain vigilant to evolving threats by
updating our procedures on a daily basis.'

There has so far been no comment from authorities on the possibility the
data may have been downloaded or shared elsewhere.

The UK terror threat was raised to critical after the Parsons Green Tube
bomb in September, and currently stands at severe.