[BreachExchange] Personal details of up to 30, 000 teachers at risk following cyberattack

Inga Goddijn inga at riskbasedsecurity.com
Tue Sep 19 19:34:09 EDT 2017

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/personal-details-of-up-to-30-000-teachers-at-risk-following-cyberattack-1.3226664

Up to 30,000 teachers have been warned that their personal data may have
been compromised after a union website was hacked in recent days.

The Irish National Teachers’ Organisation (INTO) has written to teachers
and retired staff who have completed courses on its learning website
(intolearning.ie <http://www>) to warn that its security systems were
breached.

However, it has assured individuals that no financial or credit card
details were compromised due to the breach.

It said course payments are processed separately via a secure third-party
processing facility called Realex.

In addition, it says all passwords were stored in an encrypted format to
ensure their security.

The union has emphasised that the INTO’s learning website is separate from
its membership database and no information from this was compromised in the
attack.

In an email to those affected, INTO assistant general secretary Peter
Mullan said individuals’ names, email addresses, city, country, gender and
logged information from online courses may have been accessed.

In a limited amount of cases, he said mobile numbers, school roll numbers,
roles in school, INTO membership numbers and Teaching Council
<https://www.irishtimes.com/search/search-7.1213540?tag_organisation=Teaching%20Council&article=true>
registration numbers may also have been compromised.

“While we have no evidence to suggest this data was in fact stolen, the
data was potentially at risk and thus potentially accessible to the third
party behind the breach,” Mr Mullan wrote in an email.
Spam base

He said the initial investigation into the breach had identified the use of
the server as a base to send spam messages.

The evidence suggested that this was the primary, if not only goal, of the
breach.

“We have taken down the website as a precaution and are awaiting a full
report on the attack from the company responsible for the management of the
website,” Mr Mullan wrote.

“When the website is back up and running we advise that you change your
password as a precautionary measure. We also suggest that you treat any
unusual emails or requests for further information with caution.”

He said that while the potential risk posed by this incident was low, the
union was treating it very seriously.

“We have informed the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner
<https://www.irishtimes.com/search/search-7.1213540?tag_organisation=Office%20of%20the%20Data%20Protection%20Commissioner&article=true>
of the breach and are taking advice and direction from them. We have also
notified the gardaí.”

It says its taking immediate steps to investigate breach and to review
security on the INTO Learning website.

It is also commissioning a cyber security consultant to determine how the
breach occurred and to avoid any reoccurrence in the future.