[BreachExchange] Snell & Wilmer Rolls Out Interactive Data Breach Map

Inga Goddijn inga at riskbasedsecurity.com
Sun Jun 10 21:16:05 EDT 2018

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/snell-wilmer-rolls-out-interactive-data-24004/

Snell & Wilmer’s Breach Response Team regularly guides clients through all
phases of data breach and cyber incident response, including leading
internal investigations related to data breaches and cyber incidents in
coordination with third-party forensic experts; providing comprehensive
crisis management services; and advising regarding state and federal data
breach notification and remediation requirements. Given that most
breach-related notification obligations are governed by the law of the
state of residence for the individual whose personally identifiable
information (“PII”) was compromised, companies often are required to comply
with several – and, frequently, all fifty – states’ respective notification
requirements, and one of the key challenges is managing the differences
between these respective statutes.  To assist our clients manage
multi-state data breach notification efforts, we have developed an
interactive Data Breach Map that provides an overview of the data breach
statutes in all 50 states as well as the territories of the United States,
which you can see here <https://www.swlaw.com/data-breach-map>.

By clicking on a state, you will see a summary of the key features of its
notification statute; highlights include PII and breach definitions,
respectively, along with notification requirements, including the
circumstances in which the state Attorney General’s Office or a similar
consumer protection agency is required to be notified as well as timing
requirements for the notifications to individuals. We’ve also included
links to both the data breach statutes themselves and relevant state agency
websites.  Additionally, the second tab on the Data Breach Map provides a
visual summary for those states that require notification when PII has
merely been accessed as compared to those states that only require
notification when PII has been acquired.

We will continually update the Data Breach Map to reflect changes and
amendments to the state-level notification requirements.