[BreachExchange] Best of breed: how secure are you, really?

Audrey McNeil audrey at riskbasedsecurity.com
Thu Mar 15 18:57:44 EDT 2018

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3263744/data-protection/best-of-breed-how-
secure-are-you-really.html

Every year at RSA I look for the innovators and the outliers, but I’m more
likely to encounter one vendor after another offering pretty much the same
“best of breed” security solution. How can so many vendors offering their
products in the same product category claim to be the best of breed?  I
find novelty far more interesting.

This is a serious question: If everyone claims to be the best, how can we
rationally choose what we will deploy? But this begs the question, how do
we actually measure the security posture of a large enterprise system?

Heed Lord Kelvin’s words

CISO’s must routinely ask questions such as, Is my organization secure? Are
the personnel I protect sufficiently educated and trained to minimize the
risks to the organization? Is my organization complying with regulations on
managing and safeguarding sensitive data?

Lord Kelvin’s famous quote, “to measure is to know,” applies here. Or that
oft-quoted business adage, “You can’t manage what you can’t measure.” But
measurement alone is not enough to understand the effectiveness of any
system. We have to also design systems for continuous measurement since so
many of our systems change continuously, especially when we have chosen to
deploy one of those best-of-breed solutions. Certainly, our adversaries
change.

But, how do I measure the security risk of a new technology or service
provided to our customers? Are my deployed best-of-breed security controls
still working? These and many other related questions are often answered
qualitatively, if at all, but rarely are hard measurements provided to
objectively answer these questions. It is especially important to answer
these questions longitudinally, over time, to understand whether the
organization’s security posture has improved with the introduction of new
security technologies, or not. Asking vendors provides little help, since a
best-of-breed supplier is obviously offering claims they are the best
solution. They all are. We must rely on a more structured approach to
answering this question.

Security is a property of a system, one that is as hard to define in terms
of an absolute measurement, perhaps as hard as measuring the beauty of a
flower. Beauty is also a property, but only the mind’s eye that beholds it
can judge its beauty. That’s not acceptable when protecting the core assets
of a corporation. So, how does a modern CISO avoid an ad hoc security
architecture design based solely on best-of-breed claims and decide to
purchase and deploy with a modicum of assuredness that their security
posture has indeed improved?

How might we measure security?

Red teaming and expert opinion are still the primary means of convincing a
CISO that a particular security architecture is more secure than another,
but these empirical measurements are limited and not entirely scalable. It
is of course valuable to learn of any apparent weakness in a particular
deployment, but covering all potential weaknesses remains an open question.
So what might we do?

Designing services that maintain privacy of user data is perhaps a good
analogy to consider. In Differential Privacy, for example, one considers
how privacy is affected by some change to a system design, rather than
trying to measure its absolute value. Relative measurement is possible.

Wouldn’t it be wise to build into a modern security architecture a
continuous and automatic testing process to ensure the security posture of
a system is maintained and not getting worse with time, as one or more new
best-of-breed security controls are deployed? That’s an interesting idea. A
security architecture that “self-tests” its own health. But what exactly do
we test?

This is possible if we focus on the real prize: stopping the loss of
sensitive data. That is what a security architecture must do. Is there a
means to measure the propensity of a system to leak information from an
enterprise network?

Tracking the quantity of data from source to sink may provide a means of
answering these questions with sufficient confidence to make informed
decisions. But tracking all data isn’t easy in scale. Perhaps a focused
experiment where we know ground truth would satisfy our need to measure.

Think of dye injected into a fluid held within a membrane. The leakage of
the dye through that membrane is an indicator of leakage. Simple. But what
“dye” might we want to inject in an enterprise network and watch for its
leakage, without purposely losing real and valuable data? Here is a
thought, inject known fake data into a selected known location and see
where it might go. Tracking and tracing data we purposely inject reduces
the chance of leaking real data and we would know what to look for on its
way out of the network utilizing, for example, a deployed DLP system.
Simple. And this capability is within reach.

Deception in depth may provide measurement, too

A new category of deceptive security has recently emerged. (Yep, listen
carefully to the newcomers at RSA.) Decoy technology is leading a new trend
in securing enterprise networks, and we might be able to get double duty
from this new technology.  Decoy documents could be one way to satisfy a
defense in depth (deception in depth?) strategy that provides a new
opportunity for detecting attackers in their early stage of probing and
information gathering, but they may also serve as a key to measuring data
leakage.

Strategically placing highly believable bogus documents could serve to
measure exfiltration. (Who wouldn’t want a two-fer?) Red teaming
experiments can be automated to store decoys in locations that appear to be
where there are valuable documents. Decoys that leak, appear on public
websites, or, better yet, beaconized decoy documents that signal when
remotely opened, provide immediate indicators of data loss and clear
measurements that a security architecture loses data and how much it loses
over time.

So, how secure are you, really? Injecting dye with decoy documents may
provide a continuous answer.