[BreachExchange] 5 Ways to Help Your Customers Feel Comfortable Paying Online

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Tue Sep 25 08:21:54 EDT 2018

https://www.business2community.com/ecommerce/5-ways-to-help-your-customers-feel-comfortable-paying-online-02120578

Accepting online payments can be a great way to help you expand your
business and make it easier for your customers to give you money.

On the other hand, it seems as though every other day we hear about a
data breach. And, even though many of these breaches aren’t online
breaches, it can reduce how comfortable your customers feel when
paying online.

In order to put them at ease, you need to make efforts to show that
you’re serious about security. Here are five things you can do to help
your customers feel comfortable paying online for your products and
services:

1. Create a Professional Website

A professional look is the first step to putting your customers at
ease. A website that looks professional immediately comes with a
certain level of legitimacy. While a good-looking website doesn’t mean
you’re secure, it is one way to help your customers feel as if you
take your business (and their security) seriously.

Your website should also have a contact page explaining who you are,
what you offer, and how you can be reached. When you present a
professional face to the world, you are far more likely to be trusted.

2. Add Security to Your Website — And Display the Seals

Increasingly, customers want to see that you’re certified before
paying online. So make sure you have the requisite SSL certificate and
other security items for your website.

First of all, that’s just good practice. Make sure that you have the
security in place, then prominently display the seals. Seeing that
you’re properly verified and having those trust marks can go a long
way toward providing comfort to your customers.

3. Share Your Social Proof

It’s not just about your security certificates or anti-virus software.
You should also provide other proofs that you can be trusted. Do you
participate in the Chamber of Commerce and have their seal of
approval? How’s your rating with the Better Business Bureau?

Share that information on your website if it can improve your
credibility. Seeing that you have a mark of approval from a trusted
group can help customers feel better about paying online. There’s a
reason businesses tout their media appearances and positive coverage.
It makes them appear more trustworthy.

4. Use Card Verification

Require a CVV2 on your purchase page. Look at using Address
Verification Service as well. These processes might seem a little
cumbersome at first glance, but they help customers trust you.

I may sigh when asked for my CVV when paying online, but ultimately I
feel a little uncomfortable if a business doesn’t ask for it. Could
someone else steal my number and use my card quickly and easily
because some business doesn’t get the CVV?

Allay customer fears by showing that you, at least, engage in best
practices and it would be hard for someone to fraudulently use your
card at that business.

5. Don’t Send Them through Several Different Pages

Yes, it’s good to use multiple layers of authentication. But that
doesn’t mean you have to send customers through multiple pages when
they’re paying online. When possible, it can also make sense to try to
keep from sending them to an outside page and try to avoid using
pop-ups during a transaction.

Multiple pages and popups make customers uncomfortable, and it worries
them that each step compromises their information.

With a little attention to detail, it’s possible to reduce the changes
that a customer will bail due to discomfort — and that means more
sales for you in the long run.