[BreachExchange] Servers hacked in Genesee County

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Thu Apr 4 03:13:02 EDT 2019

https://www.wnem.com/news/breaking-servers-hacked-in-gen-co/article_f8c731e0-55a1-11e9-8124-a7aa4508b5b0.html

Servers in Genesee County were hacked.

A very credible source told TV5 that the servers were hacked, but the
extent of information potentially taken off the computer is unknown.

The Genesee County Clerk confirmed that the servers are completely shut down.

County representatives said that the computers were attacked by a
ransomware-type virus.

Representatives said the counties I.T. department was able to isolate
the attack and stop the further encryption of critical information.
They said that right now the county is working on getting back what
was already affected.

According to the county, most of the services impacted were internal
and most public services will not be impacted. Certain information
like county records could be limited for the time being.

County Board Coordinator Josh Freeman said that they are not sure when
it will be fixed.

"Well it's a lot of information that is on lock down right now. The
ransomware virus attack locked up our files and said get with us and
we will give you a dollar amount of what we want to unlock them, we
have not done that. We are hopeful that one of those restore points
will work for us. Our I.T. department with some outside contractors
are working diligently to try that or make that happen," Freeman said.

There is no confirmed time on when the servers will be back to 100
percent, and they were still down at last check.

“Today, Genesee County’s computer networks were attacked by a
ransomware-type virus. The attack held hostage our files and demanded
payment for release. Our IT department was able to isolate the attack
and stop the further encryption of critical information. While our
networks were down today, we expect to be restored to normal use by
tomorrow morning. Genesee County has been in consultation with both
the Michigan State Police and the FBI concerning the matter,” Chairman
of the Board of Commissioners Ted Henry said.

There is no additional information at this time.