[BreachExchange] What lessons can we learn from Notre Dame to better prepare for cyberattacks?

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Wed Apr 17 09:23:54 EDT 2019

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3389719/what-lessons-can-we-learn-from-notre-dame-to-better-prepare-for-cyberattacks.html

Like many of you, I was glued to news sites and social media as the
fire that engulfed the famous French cathedral Notre Dame took down
the spire and roof, and severely damaged most of it. It will need to
be rebuilt, which President Emmanuel Macron has committed to do.

Construction began on this cathedral in 1160, and was largely complete
by 1260. It has been upgraded multiple times since then and has
silently stood witness to many crucial events of human history,
including the Renaissance, French Revolution, Paris Commune and World
War II. The spire that collapsed was from the 19th century, as are its
iconic gargoyles.

Notre Dame is a symbol of continual evolution, long-term planning and
the continued growth of the nation of France and its people. It has
seen the change from monarchy to democracy, and the changes in the
Catholic Church that has used it as a place of worship for over seven
centuries. Even though the Eiffel Tower dwarfs it in size, it was
still the most visited site in France by a large margin. What happened
today will be remembered centuries into the future, when the
generations that succeed us visit and worship there, like the events
of the French Revolution or World War II.

We can learn many lessons from today and apply them to the companies
we work in. Most companies, like Notre Dame, are a combination of
different elements from different times making a whole. Sometimes,
like Notre Dame, they fit together very well. Many other times, they
don’t. There are obvious lessons to learn here.

Contain to learn and prevent collateral damage

On February 23, 1991, the City of Philadelphia was changed forever.
One Meridian Plaza, one of the giant office towers that abutted City
Hall, was set alight because contractors left linseed oil rags in a
pile, which combusted and caught fire. Three firefighters died
fighting this fire. Eight floors of the building were destroyed. The
building, because it sat directly above a major rail and subway
transport interchange, could not have more invasive firefighting
techniques, such as a plane dropping water on it, because of the risk
of building collapse and collateral damage to not only other
buildings, but major transportation hubs that took tens of thousands
of workers in and out of Philadelphia’s central business district,
Center City and City Hall.

This fire is noteworthy because of the carefulness used to fight the
fire due to its proximity to the Suburban Station and Broad Street
Line transport hubs. Because of it, significant evidence was preserved
that allowed investigators to do a full root cause analysis, which
showed that the failure of fire safety systems and building design
both contributed to this catastrophic event. The findings from this
fire not only provided instructions on how to improve building safety,
they also provided a case study on how to safely deconstruct a
building in a very risky area. The demolition took place over several
years, one story at a time, and ended in 1999. Fire science was
greatly advanced because of One Meridian Plaza. Those three
Philadelphia Fire Department firefighters did not die in vain.

Notre Dame had the same issue. While I understand the urgency of some
people to put out the fire the quickest way possible, sometimes you
have to understand that you have to be careful and judicious in how
you do so so that you do not destroy evidence of what happened and
learn from the event, and take out other historical landmarks in the
process.

Such as it is with ransomware and malware attacks. Many organizations
who are attacked by them just format and reinstall PCs. They don’t
study what happened, how it happened, or document their findings. They
just want to continue on with their business.

When an attack happens, you have to contain it, and you have to
understand how it got in in the first place. Destroying evidence or
rebuilding everything without analyzing how the attack works will
provide one thing, which is certainty that the attack will happen
again using a similar vector. Even though it may be initially
unappealing, you have to study the infected computing equipment in
detail and understand the attack vectors. What you will find during
your analysis is that there will be elements of the business IT
architecture and processes that were established years ago, maybe even
from a business unit that was acquired from another company, that have
been incorporated into yours and present significant risk.

Respect the history

Oftentimes one of the comments that comes up when these issues arise
is how the previous people who established these systems and have long
since left the company made bad decisions. We need to stop when this
happens. We’re all guilty of this. We don’t understand the context in
which these decisions were made, and we most likely never will. When
we come upon these risks, we need to respect the people who made them,
and work with the business to craft solutions that meet their needs
while preserving their critical processes.

When fire investigators, engineers and scientists pore over the
damaged Notre Dame when developing their restoration plans, they will
see how masons from the 19th century may have done work that did not
complement work from the 12th or 18th century. In this case, the
people who have made these decisions are long since gone. They need to
document what their predecessors did, what they know, and discuss how
they will preserve the legacy of all historical changes made while
preserving this landmark.

Likewise, we need to keep this in mind when we develop our plans. We
need to document what we know our predecessors in the business
developed, how we will work with the customer to bring them to a
better state, and how to best preserve the past while moving forward
to that state.

Understand the past

The people who developed Notre Dame did not have AutoCAD. They
developed an architectural achievement without computers at the end of
the Dark Ages in Europe. They did this without an effective supply
chain, engines, modern tools, and without laborers that understood
math and science the way a trade school teaches it today. They had to
build the entire value chain to build this cathedral. When you look at
the construction of Notre Dame in this context, you understand what a
monumental human achievement this was and is given the constraints
that the architects had to work under.

Technology moves very fast. When we look at the underpinnings of the
technical architecture behind any significantly large business, we see
processes and technologies that may seem primitive and ancient to us
but were significant technical achievements in the era they were
developed. Many of the minicomputer and mainframe programs used today
written in COBOL or RPG, or the SCADA or PLC systems written in
obscure BASIC dialects or Ladder Logic, or the SCADA front ends
written in Visual Basic pushed the envelope of what could be
accomplished. Even Microsoft Access, which many people consider an
abomination, was critical to the development of modern enterprise
systems because it gave businesspeople the ability to quickly develop
applications to meet their needs.

We need to look at this technology and understand to the best of their
abilities why they did what they did before we go rip everything out
and put something shiny, new, and possibly costing 8 figures in its
place. We owe it to ourselves to understand the constraints and use
them to ask further questions as to why they occurred and get a better
operating picture. What we will find at the end is a better way that
respects the business and what people did to keep it viable. We can’t
drop the hammer, destroy the past, and expect it to end well for the
business. The graveyards of failed businesses are littered with
companies who thought they could do this and failed.

Rebuild for the future

When Notre Dame is rebuilt, it will more than likely will be done so
to 21st century building standards, some of which will be invented
during and as a direct result of the reconstruction process and be
respectful of the work of centuries past. Work that is done here most
likely will be used as guidance to restore other historical buildings
across the world to modern standards. Fire science and engineering
will be advanced greatly through France’s restoration process of a
national landmark.

When an attack happens on our networks, we need to look at it as an
opportunity to advance it to modern standards, and to leverage what we
know to do so. We need to be respectful of our customers, as every
business unit has history, and in many cases, it predates the company,
sometimes by centuries. We need to understand why these events
occurred, identify the risk factors, plan to mitigate them, and
present solution architectures respectful of the past value chain
constraints and our customers.

Notre Dame was and is a landmark built over centuries. Like France, it
has changed significantly since the 12th century when it was
conceived. Its genesis caused an entire value chain to be developed
around what it took to build it. The fire was significant and
destroyed large parts of a landmark that symbolized both the
resilience and evolution of the people of France. However, it will be
rebuilt, and done so while respecting France’s past and future.

Cyberattacks on our organizations need to follow the same pattern as
Notre Dame’s restoration. We need to be respectful of how businesses
and solutions were developed, understand why attacks happened, build
ways to address them and develop resilience, and not take a heavy
hammer to contain risk or develop new solutions that don’t meet our
customers’ needs.