[BreachExchange] Shakespeare Theatre Hamstrung By Cyber Attack

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Mon Dec 9 10:12:21 EST 2019

https://patch.com/new-jersey/madison/shakespeare-theatre-hamstrung-cyber-attack

MADISON, NJ - Last weekend a ransomware attack hit The Shakespeare
Theatre's database and ticketing system forcing the cancellation of
Wednesday's performance of "A Christmas Carol."

According to The Shakespeare Theatre's Artistic Director Bonnie J.
Monte, the widespread attack hit several companies of various types
and sizes. But there is good news for those who ordered tickets.

"First and foremost, let me assure you that your personal information
and your credit card information has not been compromised in any way,"
Monte said. "Our IT professionals assure us that your information is
encrypted, and not available to the attacker. Unfortunately, that
means your data is not available to us either."

Monte said that leaves the theater with a show still in need of an audience.

"We are determined to carry on with our production of A Christmas
Carol and we are determined to keep selling tickets for it. We are
also determined to rebuild our now non-existent patron database,"
Monte said. "This is a huge undertaking and one that we cannot attempt
without your help, patience, understanding and good will."

Monte is asking patrons take steps to ensure that their seats for A
Christmas Carol are protected. First, those that have already reserved
and/or purchased your tickets for A Christmas Carol, email
SaveOurSeats at shakespearenj.org and share:

Name
Performance date
Performance time (meaning matinee or evening)
Number of tickets, and if possible, the seat locations
Address
Phone number

Patrons would then come to the theater with their tickets or confirmation email.

"Only by seating those who have already purchased will we be able to
tell which seats are available for sale," Monte said.

Monte noted that all future tickets must be sold just prior to each
performance and they will not be able to give a seat assignment until
that moment. The Theatre also cannot process credit cards at the
moment, but officials said they are working to restore that. they also
said they are determined to overcome the adversity.

"We have a great season planned for you in 2020, which we are
announcing during the run of A Christmas Carol. We will do everything
we can to make your holiday visit here a good one and we will be
rebuilding our database in every spare moment we have, in every way we
can, in every effort to continue to serve you well," Monte said. "But
this will be a Herculean task, and we ask that you lend us your
kindness, your patience, your understanding, and your help in
rebuilding the system by which we contact and stay connected with all
of you. This is a very difficult time, and yet we will do everything
in our power to retain your loyal patronage and admiration."