[BreachExchange] Over 750, 000 applications for US birth certificate copies exposed online

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Tue Dec 10 10:03:06 EST 2019

https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/09/birth-certificate-applications-exposed/

An online company that allows users to obtain a copy of their birth
and death certificates from U.S. state governments has exposed a
massive cache of applications — including their personal information.

More than 752,000 applications for copies of birth certificates were
found on an Amazon Web Services (AWS) storage bucket. (The bucket also
had 90,400 death certificate applications, but these could not be
accessed or downloaded.)

The bucket wasn’t protected with a password, allowing anyone who knew
the easy-to-guess web address access to the data.

Each application process differed by state, but performed the same
task: allowing customers to apply to their state’s record-keeping
authority — usually a state’s department of health — to obtain a copy
of their historical records. The applications we reviewed contained
the applicant’s name, date-of-birth, current home address, email
address, phone number and historical personal information, including
past addresses, names of family members and the reason for the
application — such as applying for a passport or researching family
history.

The applications dated back to late-2017 and the bucket was updating
daily. In one week, the company added about 9,000 applications to the
bucket.

U.K.-based penetration testing company Fidus Information Security
found the exposed data. TechCrunch verified the data by matching names
and addresses against public records.

Fidus and TechCrunch sent several emails prior to publication to warn
of the exposed data, but we received only automated emails and no
action was taken. We are not naming the company. When reached, Amazon
would not intervene but said it would inform the customer.

We also reached out to the local data protection authority to warn of
the security lapse, but it did not immediately comment.