[BreachExchange] State Police investigating ransomware attack at BRCC

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Mon Dec 16 10:06:03 EST 2019

https://www.wbrz.com/news/state-police-investigating-ransomware-attack-at-brcc/

BATON ROUGE - Louisiana State Police is investigating a network hack
at Baton Rouge Community College.

Right now, LSP says it does not know where the problem originated, but
it’s sifting through a massive amount of network data to get to the
bottom of the issue.

While classes have ended for the fall semester, many students are
preparing for commencement Friday. Kizzy Payton, BRCC’s spokesperson
says that ceremony is happening as planned.

Thursday morning the school’s website was still down.

“We have worked out additional means for our students because they
can’t go to our website but we’re giving them other opportunities to
check their email, links, and register for classes in spring,” said
Payton.

BRCC’s IT department first noticed some issues as it relates to its
network on Monday. Payton says the IT department immediately pulled
down the networks and began working with LSP.

State Police says it’s not at a point in its investigation where it
can identify the type of ransomware used in this particular case and
it’s currently not aware of any other incidents other than the recent
state computer system hack.