[BreachExchange] Stolen laptop potentially exposes 114, 000 Missouri hospital patients

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Wed Dec 18 10:02:23 EST 2019

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/cybersecurity/stolen-laptop-potentially-exposes-114-000-missouri-hospital-patients.html

Kansas City, Mo.-based Truman Medical Centers is notifying 114,466
patients that their information may have been exposed.

In July, health system officials discovered that an employee's laptop
had been stolen from his or her car. After an investigation, Truman
Medical Centers learned that the laptop stored patient information.

Patient data that may have been exposed included names, dates of
birth, medical record or patient account numbers, Social Security
numbers, health insurance information, treatment information and
clinical information.

There is no evidence that patient information has been viewed or
misused, the health system said.

"We deeply regret any concern or inconvenience this incident may
cause. We remain committed to protecting the confidentially and
security of our patients' information. To help prevent something like
this from happening in the future, we provided additional education to
our employees about our policies against leaving laptops unattended.
We are also making additional security enhancements, including
installing controls on employee laptops," a statement releases from
the health system said.