[BreachExchange] Network Tallahassee Internet provider hacked, pays ransom to get back online

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Wed Feb 27 08:27:02 EST 2019

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/money/2019/02/26/network-tallahassee-internet-provided-hacked-pays-ransom-get-back-online/2991190002/

Hackers attacked a Tallahassee-based broadband provider and demanded
$6,000 ransom to get its operations back online.

Network Tallahassee's website is down and calls to its landline go
directly to a pre-recorded message, explaining how the hacking, which
was discovered Saturday, has compromised its entire network.

"We have been in contact with the hackers and paid the ransom and have
been advised it will be tomorrow, Tuesday (today), before we get the
compiled encrypter tools," the message recorded shortly after 5 p.m.
Monday said. "If the hackers deliver, it will probably be Wednesday
before we are partially back up and running."

It's not yet clear how many Internet users were impacted. Dave
Ferrell, a retired officer with the Tallahassee Police Department,
said he's been a customer for at least 10 years and praised the small
company's customer service.

On Monday, he noticed he couldn't send emails but was able to receive
them. When the problem persisted, he decided to call the company and
heard the "bizarre" voicemail message.

"When I can’t send anything, it jams me up,” said Ferrell, who owns a
small business. "I’m hoping it will be resolved real soon. Listening
to the voicemail, it sounds like it will be ... They are a local
business, and I hate to see something like this happen.”

Attempts to reach Network Tallahassee have been unsuccessful.

"We apologize for the inability to contact folks, but nearly all
systems are down and those that aren't down are largely crippled," the
message said. "To say we're sorry is inadequate. We are doing our
best."

According to a profile from the Better Business Bureau, Network
Tallahassee was launched in 1994. Its Facebook page provides scant
details aside from its address at 2450 Tim Gamble Place, Ste. 250.
While it is not accredited by the BBB, it has an A+ rating from the
agency.