[BreachExchange] Globe reports data breach affecting 8, 000 customers

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Wed Jan 30 02:05:13 EST 2019

https://www.bworldonline.com/globe-reports-data-breach-affecting-8000-customers/

GLOBE TELECOM, Inc. said on Tuesday there has been a data breach on
its system for the “On The List” program, affecting some 8,851
customers.

In a statement, the telecommunications company said it sent a data
registration confirmation receipt to the wrong individual, and has so
far notified the National Privacy Commission (NPC) of the error.

“On The List” is Globe’s program that allows customers to purchase
tickets to its concerts and other music events.

“Globe Telecom has rectified the issue with affected customers on
sending wrong confirmation receipt to another individual… It was just
a case of sending the data registration confirmation receipt to the
wrong individual and was not sent en masse or as a group of data,” the
company said in the statement.

The NPC confirmed receiving the report from Globe on Sunday and said
the incident was due to a system error.

“Our team is still evaluating the incident and verifying the
information given to us, following our standard procedure,” NPC
Chairman Raymund E. Liboro said in a statement.

He also advised customers that may have been affected to monitor
unusual activity online and offline and change passwords to their
accounts.

Globe has since shut down the platform.

“The On The List registration site was taken down immediately to
remove access to potential registrants at the time and we have
notified all affected prepaid customers of the issue,” Globe Chief
Information Security Officer Anton Reynaldo M. Bonifacio said in the
statement.

Shares in Globe rose 0.37% or P8 to close at P2,150 each on Tuesday. —
Denise A. Valdez