[BreachExchange] Hacked Email Provider Restores Some Functions

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Tue Mar 5 04:48:22 EST 2019

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/332649/hacked-email-provider-restores-some-functions.html

VFEmail, an email security firm that recently suffered a catastrophic
hack, has restored some functions, according to a timeline on the
company’s website.

For example, it has located a backup server that was current as of
August 2016. Mailboxes that existed at that time are now accessible.

In a tweet, the firm says: "We will not be shutting down. We’re not
back to 100% capacity, and we’re still hoping browser data between
8/2016 and 2/2019 can be recovered."

"The US data center has been vacated, and we will run entirely from
the NL datacenter."

In addition, the company has an "effectively untouched" utility
server. This, it says, will "allow quicker restoration of back-end
processes, such as Fetchmail."