[BreachExchange] Data breach at Columbus Community Hospital

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Wed May 29 10:13:15 EDT 2019

https://wkow.com/news/top-stories/2019/05/28/data-breach-at-columbus-community-hospital/

COLUMBUS (WKOW) — Columbus Community Hospital says patients’ personal
information may have been shared in an email scam.

The hospital says names, account numbers, insurer information and
social security numbers may have been compromised.

According to a release, the hospital was notified on April 8 that a
phishing email campaign may have allowed someone to access personal
information within the email account of an employee at a claims
management company, which provides services to Columbus Community
Hospital, among other providers.

On May 24, Columbus Community Hospital says that the claims management
company started mailing notifications to each patient impacted, which
included resources like fraud consultation and identity theft
restoration services.

In a statement, Columbus Community Hospital CEO John Russell said:

“The hospital takes the privacy and security of its patient
information very seriously, and ensures that its business associates
do as well. We will continue to ensure that OS does all that it can do
to work with our patients whose personal information may have been
compromised and help them work through the process. We regret that
this incident has occurred, and we are committed to work with our
business partners to prevent future such occurrences. We appreciate
our patients’ support during this time.”

The hospital says you should call their assistance line at (866)
775-4209 if you think you were affected.