[BreachExchange] Florida women's clinic alerts 520, 000 patients of data breach

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Wed Oct 16 09:59:14 EDT 2019

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/cybersecurity/florida-women-s-clinic-alerts-520-000-patients-of-data-breach.html

Tampa-based Women's Care Florida alerted all current and former
patients — 528,188 people — that their medical or personal information
may have been exposed due to an April 29 cybersecurity incident.

The clinic discovered July 27 that some of its computer systems had
been infected with a virus. After consulting with third-party
information technology consultants, Women's Care Florida learned that
a computer virus had encrypted certain files.

Women's Care Florida immediately shut down its networked computer
systems. Since then, the clinic has decrypted or recovered nearly all
of the affected files.

While there is no evidence that any patient information was viewed,
retrieved or copied, Women's Care Florida is recommending patients
review their account statements, monitor free credit reports and
report any suspicious financial activity.

Patient data that may have been affected included names, demographic
information, dates of birth, Social Security numbers, driver's license
or identification care numbers, employment information, health
insurance information and health information. No credit or debit card
or financial account information was stored on the computer systems.

"We have strengthened our virus detection and other systems and
safeguards to prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to our
systems. We have also taken other steps to try to prevent similar
incidents in the future," Women's Health Florida said in a statement.