[BreachExchange] Hartford HealthCare Data Breach May Have Compromised Patient Information

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Thu Apr 16 10:20:19 EDT 2020

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/hartford-healthcare-data-breach-may-have-compromised-patient-information/2255019/

Hartford HealthCare announced on Monday that their system was recently
the victim of a phishing attack that may have compromised patient
information.

The company said on February 13 they were made aware of concerning
activity tied to two employee email accounts. Investigation by a
technology forensics team found that someone gained access to the
accounts between February 13 and 14. At least one of the accounts
included personal patient information, including names, dates of
birth, medical records, and other health and insurance information. In
23 cases, the information including a social security number.

Hartford HealthCare said it is notifying the 2,651 affected patients
by mail. The company will offer two years of free credit monitoring
for the 23 patients whose social security numbers were affected by the
breach.

The breach did not affect Hartford HealthCare's electronic medical
records, the company said.

"Hartford HealthCare deeply regrets that this incident occurred.  We
value the trust our patients place in us and take seriously our role
in safeguarding the personal and medical information of our patients,"
the company wrote in a statement.

Patients who receive a letter or who are concerned their information
may be affected can call Hartford HealthCare at 800-939-4170, Monday
through Friday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST.