[BreachExchange] SeaChange video platform allegedly hit by Sodinokibi ransomware

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Mon Apr 27 10:13:32 EDT 2020

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/seachange-video-platform-allegedly-hit-by-sodinokibi-ransomware/

A leading supplier of video delivery software solutions is reportedly
the latest victim of the Sodinokibi Ransomware, who has posted images
of data they claim to have stolen from the company during a
cyberattack.

SeaChange, a Waltham, Massachusets company with locations in Poland
and Brazil, is an on-premise or remotely managed video-on-demand and
streaming platform provider. SeaChange's customers include the BBC,
Verizon, DISH, COX, DirecTV, and COX.

Since last year, ransomware operators have been launching data leak
sites that they use to publish files stolen from victims when
performing a ransom attack.

Ransomware operators use this tactic to scare and pressure non-paying
victims into paying a ransom.

Sodinokibi posts images of SeaChange's data

In an update to their data leak site, Sodinokibi (REvil) has created a
new victim page for SeaChange where they have published images of some
of the documents that they have stolen during an alleged attack.

These images include a screenshot of folders on a server they claim to
have had access to, a bank statement, insurance certificates, a
driver's license, and a cover letter for a proposal for a Pentagon
video-on-demand service.

Alleged SeaChange directory listing posted by REvil

When we asked the Sodinokibi operators how much the ransom was and the
amount of data stolen, they refused to provide any further
information.

"Thank you for your interest and your questions, but I really can't answer.
 We publish confidential information about companies if they ignore us
for a long time or decide not to pay. Otherwise, we are not ready to
share any information about them in their own interests, including
share which companies we have encrypted, how much data we have stolen,
etc."

It is common for ransomware operators to slowly release small amounts
of stolen data to continue applying pressure on their victims.

When asked if the DOD was aware of this breach, we were told that the
DOD will not comment on network intrusions or investigations.

"In accordance with policy, we will have no information to provide on
possible network intrusions or investigations into possible network
intrusions in either DOD or contractor networks," Lt Col Robert
Carver, a Department of Defense spokesman, told BleepingComputer.

When BleepingComputer reached out to SeaChange to learn if they were
aware of the posting of this data, we did not receive a response to
our multiple queries.

Update 4/24/20: Added statement from the DOD.