[BreachExchange] ProctorU confirms data breach after database leaked online

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Tue Aug 11 10:24:18 EDT 2020

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/proctoru-confirms-data-breach-after-database-leaked-online/

Online exam proctoring solution ProctorU has confirmed a data breach
after a threat actor released a stolen database of user records on a
hacker forum.

ProctorU is a proctoring service used by companies and colleges to
monitor online tests for cheating.

Using installed software, webcams, and the computer's microphone,
ProctorU will monitor a test taker's for behavior indicative of
cheating. If cheating is suspected, the proctor can ask the student to
show them parts of their room or desk with their webcam to ensure that
cheating is not taking place.

ProctorU database leaked on a hacker forum

Last month, BleepingComputer broke the story that a known data breach
seller had leaked 18 company's databases for free on a hacker forum.

One of the leaked databases was for Proctoru.com and contains user
records for 444,000 people allegedly registered at the online
proctoring service.

Proctoru database leaked for free

The samples of the database seen by BleepingComputer contains email
addresses, full names, addresses, phone numbers, hashed passwords, the
affiliated organization, and other information.

Sample of user records in database

Some of the university and college email addresses contained in this
database include North Virginia Community College, UCLA, Princeton,
University of Texas, Harvard, Yale, Syracuse University, Columbia, UC
Davis, and many more.

The database also contains emails for members of the U.S. military.

At the time, BleepingComputer had contacted ProctorU, but after
initial emails, we never received a reply to our queries about whether
the data leak was legitimate.

In a tweeted reply to the University of Sydney student newspaper Honi
Soit, who further investigated our report, ProctorU confirmed that
they suffered a data breach for records from 2014 and are
investigating the incident.

In our analysis of the database, though, users are shown who created
ProctorU accounts in other years, including 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,
and even 2017.

BleepingComputer has reached out once again to ProctorU for more
information but has not heard back.