[BreachExchange] World's largest cruise line operator Carnival hit by ransomware

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Tue Aug 18 09:50:48 EDT 2020

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/worlds-largest-cruise-line-operator-carnival-hit-by-ransomware/

Cruise line operator Carnival Corporation has disclosed that one of
their brands suffered a ransomware attack over the past weekend.

Carnival Corporation is the largest cruise operator in the world with
over 150,000 employees and 13 million guests annually. The cruise line
operates under the brands Carnival Cruise Line, Costa, P&O Australia,
P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises, Holland American Line, AIDA, Cunard,
and their ultra-luxury cruise line Seabourn.

"On August 15, 2020, Carnival Corporation and Carnival plc (together,
the “Company,” “we,” “us,” or “our”) detected a ransomware attack that
accessed and encrypted a portion of one brand’s information technology
systems. The unauthorized access also included the download of certain
of our data files," the cruise line operator stated in their filing.

As part of the attack, Carnival states data was likely stolen and
could lead to claims from those affected by the potential data breach.

"Nonetheless, we expect that the security event included unauthorized
access to personal data of guests and employees, which may result in
potential claims from guests, employees, shareholders, or regulatory
agencies,"

The filing does not indicate the ransomware operation that compromised
their network, and there are close to twenty different gangs that
steal and leak unencrypted files as part of their attacks.

This ransomware attack comes on the heels of a data breach announced
in March 2020 that led to the exposure of customers' personal
information, including possible payment information.

BleepingComputer contacted Carnival with further questions about the
attack, but they are not providing any additional information.

"We are not planning to discuss anything beyond the 8K filing at this
point since it is early in the investigation process," Carnival told
BleepingComputer.

Do you have first-hand information about this attack or another
ransomware attack? If you have information to share, contact us
securely on Signal at +1 (646) 961-3731, via email at
lawrence.abrams at bleepingcomputer.com, or using our tips form.

Carnival utilizes vulnerable edge devices

According to cybersecurity intelligence firm Bad Packets, Carnival
utilizes vulnerable edge gateway devices that allow an attacker to
gain access to a corporate network.

The CVE-2019-19781 vulnerability is for Citrix ADC (NetScaler) devices
that, when exploited, allow a hacker to gain access to the company's
internal network. Patches for this vulnerability were released in
January 2020.

The other vulnerability, CVE-2020-2021, exists in Palo Alto Networks
firewalls and allows unauthenticated network-based attackers to bypass
authentication. This vulnerability was patched at the end of June
2020.

Either of these vulnerabilities can be abused by ransomware operators
to gain access to a corporate network silently. Once the attackers
gain access, they spread laterally to other computers and harvest
network credentials.

When they gain control over an administrator account and the Windows
domain controller, the attackers deploy the ransom

While it is not known if either of these vulnerabilities were used in
Carnival's attack, they are commonly abused by ransomware operators in
these types of attacks.

Update 8/17/2020 18:15: Updated to include information about vulnerable devices.