[BreachExchange] Pennsylvania hospital investigates payroll system data breach

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Mon Feb 3 10:13:53 EST 2020

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/cybersecurity/pennsylvania-hospital-investigates-payroll-system-data-breach.html

Meadville (Pa.) Medical Center began notifying employees Jan. 23 about
a data breach within its payroll system, according to the Meadville
Tribune.

Officials suspect that an unauthorized third party may have been able
to access the personal information of some employees and their
dependents, Meadville Medical Center Vice President of Consumer
Engagement Don Rhoten confirmed. No patient data was affected.

Since discovering the security breach, Meadville Medical Center has
secured the employee payroll computer portal. The FBI and other law
enforcement have been notified to help Meadville Medical Center
investigate.

"We are working with a professional security firm to address this
incident and determine what personal information may have been
involved," Mr. Rhoten told the Meadville Tribune. "We appreciate our
employees' patience as we investigate this incident."