[BreachExchange] Translink IT systems targeted in suspected 'ransomware' cyber attack

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Fri Feb 7 10:18:30 EST 2020

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/02/07/news/translink-it-systems-targeted-in-suspected-ransomware-cyber-attack-1836604

TRANSLINK'S internal computer systems have been experiencing problems
following a suspected 'ransomware' cyber attack.

The public transport firm said it is working to resolve the issues and
there is "no evidence that any data has been compromised".

The incident has been reported to police. The National Cyber Security
Centre, part of GCHQ, is also examining the hack.

Investigations are continuing into the cause of the problems, but a
source told The Irish News that a ransomware virus was suspected.

Ransomware is a computer virus which attempts to block data stored on
an infected machine and demands payment before allowing the user to
regain access to their information.

The source claimed Translink's IT network had been in "lockdown" since
Wednesday afternoon, with some staff unable to log into computers.

In a statement a spokeswoman for Translink said: "We are experiencing
difficulties with our internal IT systems.

"We are working to resolve these issues as quickly as possible.

"Investigations are ongoing and there is no evidence that any data has
been compromised.

"Bus and train services are not affected.

"Passenger and timetable information is available on the Translink
website, Journey Planner and through our Contact Centre."

A spokesman for the National Cyber Security Centre said: “We are aware
of the cyber incident affecting Translink and are working with
partners to get a full understanding of the situation.

“The company have said that transportation has not been affected and
that they are still able to take payments.”

It is not the first time public institutions in Northern Ireland have
been targeted in cyber attacks.

In 2016, figures obtained by The Irish News showed how Queen's
University Belfast had suffered three ransomware attacks within a
year.

On one occasion it paid a £400 ransom after hackers targeted a PC
running Windows XP and encrypted documents and images.

Ulster University had identified 22 ransomware attacks since June
2015, while several councils also revealed that they had been targeted
by ransomware.