[BreachExchange] Great Plains Health recovers from cyber attack

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Fri Jan 17 10:29:25 EST 2020

https://www.knopnews2.com/content/news/Great-Plains-Health-recovers-from-cyber-attack-567059321.html

NORTH PLATTE, Neb. (KNOP)- After hours and hours spent working, Great
Plains Health is 80 percent recovered from their breach attack in
November.

Staff worked diligently to recover from cyber attack. (SOURCE: Kaylie
Crowe KNOP-TV)-

While they are not finished, they have secured patient information.
All that is left to recover is archived information that is not
typically used often. Staff across the hospital made sure systems were
back online as soon as possible. Some put in as much as 36 hours
straight when it initially was breached to make sure to recover
information as quickly as possible.

"All of the important patient systems are in the first 40 percent of
the systems that have to be recovered. So I can say confidently the
systems that we are recovering now have little or no effect on any
kind of patient care," said Kelliher.

Cyber attacks are consistent, the hospital says they and all other
companies fight 1000s of attacks a day and work diligently to keep
things moving correctly and safely.

"During the first couple days of the disaster we had nurses that
volunteered to stay all night and help enter data in order to get the
systems fully operational as quickly as possible," said Kelliher,
"They didn't have to do that they just did it out of the goodness of
their heart because they understood the importance of this facility as
well as the community they live in."

All the critical patient systems were brought up in two weeks. They
did not have to turn away any patients. The Same server attacked
multiple systems across the nation. The hospital says many stepped up
to help solve the attack.