[BreachExchange] Dutch supermarkets run out of cheese after ransomware attack

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Tue Apr 13 10:20:23 EDT 2021

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/dutch-supermarkets-run-out-of-cheese-after-ransomware-attack/

A ransomware attack against conditioned warehousing and transportation
provider Bakker Logistiek has caused a cheese shortage in Dutch
supermarkets.

Bakker Logistiek is one of the largest logistics services providers in
the Netherlands, offering air-conditioned warehousing and food
transportation for Dutch supermarkets.

Last week, Bakker Logistiek suffered a ransomware attack that
encrypted devices on their network and disrupted food transportation
and fulfillment operations.

"We could no longer receive orders from customers," Bakker director
Toon Verhoeven told NOS. "And in our warehouses we no longer knew
where products were. These are very large warehouses, you don't just
go looking for a pallet. We also couldn't plan our transports anymore.
We have hundreds of trucks, which was not done by hand either."

This disruption led to a shortage of certain food products, especially
cheese, at the Netherland's largest supermarket chain, Albert Heijn.

The shortage has led Albert Heijn to post a notice on their website
alerting customers of the limited availability of prepackaged cheese.

"Due to a technical malfunction, there is limited availability on the
prepackaged cheese. The logistics service provider works hard to solve
the problem as quickly as possible and to quickly restore
availability. We apologize for the inconvenience," AH posted on their
website.

Bakker Logistiek has said that they could restore affected systems
from backups and have begun coordinating with customers to begin
deliveries again.

It is unknown what ransomware gang targeted Bakker Logistiek, but
Verhoeven has told NOS that they speculate that the threat actors
gained access to their systems through the recently reported Microsoft
Exchange ProxyLogon vulnerabilities.

Bakker Logistiek is not the first conditioned warehouse operator to
get hit in a ransomware attack.

In November, global temperature-controlled warehouses operator
Americold suffered a ransomware attack that impacted phone systems,
email, inventory management, and order fulfillment.