[BreachExchange] Exagrid pays $2.6m to Conti ransomware attackers

Sophia Kingsbury sophia.kingsbury at riskbasedsecurity.com
Wed Jun 2 16:21:16 EDT 2021

https://www.computerweekly.com/news/252501665/Exagrid-pays-26m-to-Conti-ransomware-attackers

Backup appliance supplier ExaGrid has paid a $2.6m ransom to cyber
criminals that targeted the company with Conti ransomware.

The ransom was paid in the form of 50.75 bitcoins on 13 May, according to
information gained by ComputerWeekly.com’s French sister publication
LeMagIT.

Accession to the ransomware attacker’s demands was made more embarrassing
when the backup appliance supplier – which makes a big play of its
strengths against ransomware – accidentally deleted the decryption tool and
had to ask for it again.

Submission to the ransomware attack came in the same month as US pipeline
operator Colonial Pipeline paid $4.5m after being hit by Darkside
ransomware and the Irish health service was targeted, also by Conti
ransomware.

The negotiations, to which LeMagIT had access, began on 4 May with a person
with the title “IT lead technician with ExaGrid Systems”.

The cyber criminals got straight to the point, and said: “As you already
know, we infiltrated your network and stayed in it for more than a month
(enough to study all of your documentation), encrypted your file servers,
SQL servers, downloaded all important information with a total weight of
more than 800GB.”

They went on to describe how they had got hold of the personal data of
clients and employees, commercial contracts, NDA forms, financial data, tax
returns and source code. The initial ransom demanded was $7,480,000.

ExaGrid wanted to test the decryption on a sample, and a photo of the front
of an ExaGridEX63000E NAS box was provided. Negotiations continued and
lasted until 13 May. All through this period, the attackers shared files
with ExaGrid via Sendspace to show what they had been able to access. Some
archives shared in this way had not been deleted for some time after
negotiations finished and could still be downloaded.

The cyber criminal’s negotiator seemed more experienced than others. After
an initial offer from ExaGrid of more than $1m, she responded: “Thank you
for your efforts. This is a fair and reasonable initial offer. We now have
the opportunity to negotiate. We are prepared to offer you a discount of
$1m. Your fee will now be $6,480,000.”

In contrast to the heavy-handed approach of other cyber criminals, the
negotiator added: “We understand that your work here is not easy and
requires some effort to convince the members of your board. But, we are
still far from agreement.”

A week later, the ExaGrid negotiator raised their offer to $2.2m. The cyber
criminals then reduced their demand to $3m. At that point, the exchanges
intensified as the two parties sought to quickly reach an accord. That came
soon with an agreement at $2.6m, and the bitcoin address indicated that the
negotiated amount was paid. The decryption tool was provided via an account
at Mega.nz, where the stolen data was stored. The data and the accounts
were immediately deleted.

But then, two days later, the ExaGrid negotiator asked for the decryption
tool to be sent again because “we deleted it by accident”. The cyber
criminals made it available for download the next day.

The attack is particularly embarrassing for Exagrid, which last December
announced it had won seven industry awards, as well as the launch of a new
solution for restores following ransomware attacks.

On its website, on the subject of ransomware, ExaGrid says: “ExaGridoffers
a unique approach to ensure that attackers cannot compromise the backup
data, allowing organisations to be confident that they can restore the
affected primary storage and avoid paying ugly ransoms.”

ExaGrid has been asked for comment, but was not available at time of
publishing.