[BreachExchange] Class action lawsuit targets UPMC, law firm for data breach

Destry Winant destry at riskbasedsecurity.com
Mon Mar 22 10:25:04 EDT 2021

https://www.wtae.com/article/class-action-lawsuit-targets-upmc-law-firm-for-data-breach/35889051#

A class-action lawsuit accuses UPMC and a law firm of compromising the
personal information of thousands of patients.

Last month, law firm Charles Hilton and Associates, which does
collections for UPMC, reported a data breach affecting 36,000
patients. The firm said Social Security numbers, bank account numbers
and other personal information were hacked.

Vince Ranalli, one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit, just started a
food prep and delivery business so he is keeping a close eye on
finances. That's why he was alarmed when he received a letter saying
an account was opened in his name at a bank that he does not use.

"They said whoever had done this had gotten everything from me. They
opened it with my Social Security number, my driver's license, my
address. They pretty much had all of my personal information," Ranalli
said.

The lawsuit said Vince's dad was also targeted, receiving four credit
cards that he did not apply for.

The hack against Vince and his father came weeks after the data breach
was reported. Vince said authorities told him that was no coincidence.

"Both the bank and law enforcement made that connection in some way," he said.

The class-action lawsuit accuses UPMC and Charles Hilton and
Associates of negligence, invasion of privacy and other counts.

"We're seeking to curtail the problem, identify all the people
affected, recover monies for them to the extent they're entitled and
to protect their information," said attorney Joshua Ward, who filed
the suit.

UPMC and the law firm declined to comment on the lawsuit.

Vince said he worries that the breach could impact his fledgling business.

"I really want to know where my personal information is, who else has
it. I want to be protected," he said.

Allegheny Health Network was also named initially in the lawsuit but
Ward said AHN does not use the same law firm as UPMC so it will be
dropped from the case.